Hi again. Checking one more to see if I get it.

• Thread starter Pinkshell4u
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi
In summary, the conversation is about finding the change in altitude for a train climbing a 500 m mountain track at a 10 degree angle. The problem is solved using basic trigonometry, where the side opposite the given angle is divided by the hypotenuse to find the sin of the angle. The final equation is h/500 = sin 10 degrees, and the change in altitude (h) can be solved for.
Pinkshell4u

Homework Statement

A train slowly climbs a 500 m mountain track which is at an angle of 10 degrees with respect to the horizontal. How much altitude does it gain?

Homework Equations

Looks a lot like the jogger one except you find change in y instead, right?
Are we missing mass? Do I need mass?
So do I use the -FdSin again?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried it and came up with a crazy huge answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pinkshell4u said:

Homework Statement

A train slowly climbs a 500 m mountain track which is at an angle of 10 degrees with respect to the horizontal. How much altitude does it gain?
Looks like just a basic trig problem ...the diagonal is 500 m, the angle is 10 degrees, so the height increase is___?___?

I appreciate your help Jay but you basically just repeated the question. I'm an old dog trying to learn a new trick here so please bear with me. I am the weakest link when it comes to math. I get confused about what equation to use and why.

If I'm looking for the change in altitude then I would use FDelta Y Cos...right? Thats what my books got anyway. But there's no F and I don't have a mass, so what now?

If the question is worded properly, you have a right triangle with a small angle of 10 degrees, and a diagonal of 500 m. From trigonometry, the side opposite the given angle, divided by the hypotenuse, is the sin of the angle. So h/500 = sin 10 degrees. Solve for h.

Last edited:
Thank you very much Jay!

Related to Hi again. Checking one more to see if I get it.

1. What does "Hi again. Checking one more to see if I get it." mean?

This phrase is commonly used as a way to double check understanding or to confirm if something is correct.

2. Why do people say "Hi again" when they are already saying hi?

It is a colloquial way of saying hello again or acknowledging that the conversation is continuing.

3. Is "Hi again. Checking one more to see if I get it." a common phrase?

Yes, it is a common phrase in informal conversations or when trying to confirm understanding.

4. Can "Hi again. Checking one more to see if I get it." be interpreted as rude?

No, this phrase is usually not interpreted as rude. However, tone and context can play a role in how it is perceived.

5. What is the best response to "Hi again. Checking one more to see if I get it."?

The best response would depend on the context of the conversation. However, a simple "Yes, I understand" or "Can you clarify?" are appropriate responses.