Incline and Friction direction

In summary, the problem asks for the minimum friction force between two blocks, one of which is resting on an inclined plane. If the coefficient of friction is between 0.3 and 0.9, the tension must be between 0.3 and 0.9 to achieve equilibrium.
Alex126

Homework Statement

It's Problem 3 of this page:
http://www.problemsphysics.com/forces/inclined_planes_problems.html

"A box of mass M = 10 Kg rests on a 35° inclined plane with the horizontal. A string is used to keep the box in equilibrium. The string makes an angle of 25 ° with the inclined plane. The coefficient of friction between the box and the inclined plane is 0.3."

Homework Equations

See link.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have a problem understanding most of it, but there is one thing that left me thinking: how do we know, in advance (if we can know it), where the direction of the Friction force points?

The thing is, the solved problem has Friction force (Fs) pointing downwards (left), but as far as I can tell we could have just as rightfully assumed that it pointed upwards (right). In other words, on the X axis we could have two possible situations:

1. Like they did: Wx and Fs pointing left; Tx pointing right. So at the equilibrium it becomes (chosen +left, -right):
Wx + Fs - Tx = 0

2. Like I tried doing before checking their solution: Wx pointing left, Tx and Fs pointing right. Then we have (chosen +left, -right):
Wx - Fs - Tx = 0

I tried to think about it, but only managed to come up with two things. First, if we knew how much Wx and Tx are, then we can certainly know that, to keep the equilibrium, Fs must "assist" the "weaker" one of them, and therefore must be on the "weaker one's side". In other words, if Wx was +3, and Tx was -5, then Fs must be +2 (pointing left, like Wx); viceversa, if Wx was +5, and Tx was -3, then Fs must be -2 (pointing right).

But then I realized that we don't know Tx when this decision should be made (when setting the equations). So how do we make the decision?

The best I could come up with was this: do both methods, and then double-check if there are any contradictions in either one. If there are, discard that one.

So I went on and did my thing. Here's what I got by assuming that Fs pointed up.

Equilibrium on X (+left, -right):
+Wx - Fs - Tx = 0

Equilibrium on Y (+down, -up):
+Wy - N - Ty = 0
=> N = Wy - Ty
=> N = mg cos (35°) - T*sin (25°)
=> N = 80.36 - T*0.42

Back to the first equation:
+Wx - Fs - Tx = 0
=> Wx = Fs + Tx
=> mg sin (35°) = N*μ + T*cos (25°)
=> 56.27 = (80.36 - T*0.42) * 0.3 + T*0.91
=> (...) => T = 41 N

So Tx = 37.2 N

Now Fs:
+Wx - Fs - Tx = 0
=> Fs = Wx - Tx => Fs = +19 N

Alternatively:
N = Wy - Ty => N = 63 Newtons
So Fs = N*μ => Fs = +19 N again

So to recap the set of data I got:
W = 98.1
Wx = 56.3
Wy = 80.4

T = 41
Tx = 37.2
Ty = 17.3

Fs = 19
N = 63

X axis: Wx - Fs - Tx =? 0 => 56.3-19-37.2 = 0.1 => seems good (aside from approximations)
Y axis: Wy - N - Ty =? 0 => 80.4-63-17.3 = 0.1 => close enough again

Is there a contradiction somewhere that I'm missing, or are there actually two possible ways to solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alex126 said:
Is there a contradiction somewhere that I'm missing, or are there actually two possible ways to solve this problem?
I think you are doing just fine: the book solution assumes Fs is pointing to the right, without any motivation.
You worked out an alternative assumption (I didn't check the numbers), which is fine too.

The weakness in the exercise statement is in the wording 'to keep the box in equilibrium' . I think any tension in the range from your value to the book value achieves that result. My point is that the friction coefficient helps find the maximum friction force, but the actual friction force can be anything between + and - ##\mu F_N## (in this configuration with different ##F_N## for each string tension ##T## ).

Likes Alex126
Alex126 said:

@BvU is right, the tension can be anything between those both values. The problem does not specify if it asks the minimum or maximum tension. The minimum tension prevents the block sliding down the slope, and the box would not start to move upward along the slope till the tension is less than the maximum value.

Likes Alex126 and BvU
Alright, thanks guys.

Related to Incline and Friction direction

1. What is the relationship between incline and friction direction?

The relationship between incline and friction direction is that they are perpendicular to each other. This means that the incline, or the slope of the surface, is at a right angle to the direction of the force of friction.

2. How does the angle of incline affect the direction of friction?

The steeper the incline, the greater the force of friction will be in the opposite direction. This is because there is a greater component of the force of gravity acting down the slope, which creates a greater normal force and thus a greater frictional force.

3. What is the role of friction in an inclined plane?

Friction plays a crucial role in an inclined plane as it is responsible for preventing objects from sliding down the slope. The force of friction acts in the opposite direction of motion and helps to maintain the object's position on the incline.

4. Can friction ever be parallel to the incline?

No, friction can never be parallel to the incline. As mentioned before, friction is always perpendicular to the incline and acts in the opposite direction of motion. If friction were to be parallel to the incline, it would not be able to prevent the object from sliding down the slope.

5. How does the coefficient of friction affect the direction of friction on an incline?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces in contact. A higher coefficient of friction means there is a stronger force of friction, which will act in the opposite direction of motion on an incline. Therefore, the direction of friction is affected by the coefficient of friction, as a higher coefficient will result in a greater force of friction in the opposite direction.