[Equilibrium and Pendulums] Do I have to consider the Perpendicular force?

In summary, when solving for the angle between a pendulum and the vertical, one must consider all three forces acting on the pendulum bob: tension in the horizontal rope, tension in the pendulum rope, and the force of gravity. By setting the sum of these forces equal to zero, one can solve for the angle using trigonometric functions.
AJKing

Homework Statement

A pendulum bob of mass 2.5kg is pulled aside by a horizontal rope. If the tension in the rope is 3.50N, what is the angle between the pendulum and the vertical?

mp = 2.5 kg

Tr = 3.50 N

Fg = 2.5kg * 9.8m/s2

Homework Equations

∑F = 0

Pocket full of trig functions and laws.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been over thinking this one like a moe'sucka.

Imagining the pendulum, one may speculate that there are 3 forces acting on the bob: the force of Gravity, Tension on the pendulum rope, and the force of Tension on the horizontal rope.

It's a pretty basic under those terms, and solving it reveals:

θ = 8.1°However, I don't feel like I've solved this correctly. [Edited explanation here, was going to rewrite it but then came to a conclusion.]

My biggest question is: Do I have to concern myself with the applied force of gravity (perpendicular to the neutral force) in this instance?

If so, the question becomes much more stressing to solve. In this case, the tension in the horizontal rope becomes the horizontal factor of the perpendicular force.

I've expended most of my "goto" methods for solving these kinds of questions and even got a little crazy with trig stuff but I can't find that angle if I assume that 3.5N is only the x factor of the perpendicular force being balanced.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AJKing said:
Imagining the pendulum, one may speculate that there are 3 forces acting on the bob: Gravity, Neutral, and Pulling force.
I understand gravity, but what are 'Neutral' and 'Pulling'?

It's a pretty basic under those terms, and solving it reveals:

θ = 8.1°
OK.

However, I don't feel like this accounts for the perpendicular force on the pendulum.

My biggest question is: Do I have to concern myself with the applied force of gravity (perpendicular to the neutral force) in this instance?
I don't know what you mean by 'neutral force' or 'applied force of gravity'. There are three forces acting on the pendulum bob. What are they?

Maybe you can define what you mean by your terms and restate your question.

Doc Al said:
I understand gravity, but what are 'Neutral' and 'Pulling'?

Yeah, I could've used better terms. I'll edit.

Pulling: Force of tension on the horizontal rope.

Neutral: The force commonly written as Fn. What's the proper name for this?

AJKing said:
Pulling: Force of tension on the horizontal rope.
OK, that's the tension in the horizontal rope.

Neutral: The force commonly written as Fn. What's the proper name for this?
Do you mean Normal force? That only applies between surfaces. Not applicable here.

Perhaps you are thinking of the tension in the cord of the pendulum? That's the third force acting on the pendulum bob.

Doc Al said:
Do you mean Normal force? That only applies between surfaces. Not applicable here.

This force is equivalent to the Tension on the pendulum rope though, correct? Fn has been used frequently to represent it in my instructional material.

And you're right, there are just 3 forces. For some reason I was imagining that I had to counter a force that's used when working with moving pendulums. Imagining the system as a mass hanging from 2 points corrected it for me (same thing, different wording).

I partially blame the hour.

AJKing said:
This force is equivalent to the Tension on the pendulum rope though, correct? Fn has been used frequently to represent it in my instructional material.
I've never heard the tension in a pendulum rope referred to as a 'neutral' or 'normal' force. I'd just call it tension. (But it doesn't matter what symbol you use for it, as long as you know it's a tension force.)

Related to [Equilibrium and Pendulums] Do I have to consider the Perpendicular force?

1. Do I need to take into account the perpendicular force when studying equilibrium and pendulums?

Yes, the perpendicular force, also known as the centripetal force, is a crucial factor in understanding how objects behave in equilibrium and pendulum motion. This force is responsible for keeping an object moving in a circular path and maintaining equilibrium.

2. How does the perpendicular force affect the equilibrium of a pendulum?

The perpendicular force plays a significant role in maintaining the equilibrium of a pendulum. It acts as the restoring force that pulls the pendulum back to its equilibrium position. Without this force, the pendulum would not be able to swing back and forth in a regular motion.

3. Can the perpendicular force be ignored in certain situations?

No, the perpendicular force should not be ignored as it is always present in any circular motion or pendulum system. Neglecting this force can result in incorrect calculations and predictions about the behavior of the system.

4. How is the perpendicular force related to the length of the pendulum?

The perpendicular force is directly proportional to the length of the pendulum. This means that a longer pendulum will experience a greater perpendicular force, and thus, will have a longer period of oscillation compared to a shorter pendulum.

5. What other factors besides the perpendicular force affect the equilibrium and motion of a pendulum?

Other factors that can affect the equilibrium and motion of a pendulum include the mass of the pendulum, the angle of release, and the air resistance. These factors can alter the magnitude and direction of the perpendicular force, ultimately affecting the behavior of the pendulum.