HELP with trigonometric identites

In summary: This is why the graph of sqrt(13)cos(x+36.69) is a reflection of the graph of 2sin(x)-3cos(x). In summary, when equating the left hand side of an equation to a single trigonometric function, the choice of which function to use does not matter, but the choice of sign can lead to different solutions.
Deep_Thinker97
Okay so I'm solving this equation: 2sin(x)-3cos(x)=1
I'm solving it by equating the left hand side to a single trigonometric equation.
What I did first: I equated the left hand side to a sine function. So
2sin(x)-3cos(x)=Rsin(x+a). Then I used the addition formula.
Rsin(x+a)= Rsin(x)*cos(a)+Rcos(x)*sin(a). Then I equated the coefficients.
So, Rcos(a)=2 and Rsin(a)=-3.
So I solved for R & a (not going to go into the details) and found the R=sqrt(13) and a=-56.31. So 2sin(x)-3cos(x)=sqrt(13)sin(x-56.31)
Then I said sqrt(13)sin(x-56.31)=1 (as required in first equation), solved for x and got 72.4 and 220.2 (if 0<x<360). This, according to the textbook solution, is the correct answer.
HERE COMES THE PROBLEM
As stated, I equated the left hand side to Rsin(x+a). But surely, it doesn't matter whether I equate the equation to Rsin(x+a), Rsin(x-a), Rcos(x+a) or Rcos(x-a). Surely, when I solve for x, it should be the same answer, regardless which formula I used. So I tested this out.
I equated 2sin(x)-3cos(x) to Rcos(x+a) instead
Expanded Rcos(x+a) to Rcos(x)cos(a)-Rsin(x)sin(a)
Equated coefficients: Rcos(a)=-3 & -Rsin(a)=2, so Rsin(a)=-2
Solved for R and a, and got R=sqrt(13) and a=33.69
So 2sin(x)-3cos(x)=sqrt(13)cos(x+33.69).
Set the equation: sqrt(13)cos(x+33.69)=1
Solved for x and got, *drum roll*, 40.21 and 252.41. Two completely different answers!
Got so frustrated that I decided to generate the graphs on a graph sketcher to see what was going on. Turns out that sqrt(13)sin(x-56.31) generates the same graph as 2sin(x)-3cos(x), thus confirming that it is a correct equation.
However, the graph of sqrt(13)cos(x+36.69) generates the REFLECTION in the x axis, of 2sin(x)-3cos(x).
Why is this happening! What have I done wrong in calculating the cos equation to mean that it doesn't produce the same graph as the others!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Deep_Thinker97 said:
Okay so I'm solving this equation: 2sin(x)-3cos(x)=1
I'm solving it by equating the left hand side to a single trigonometric equation.
What I did first: I equated the left hand side to a sine function. So
2sin(x)-3cos(x)=Rsin(x+a). Then I used the addition formula.
Rsin(x+a)= Rsin(x)*cos(a)+Rcos(x)*sin(a). Then I equated the coefficients.
So, Rcos(a)=2 and Rsin(a)=-3.
So I solved for R & a (not going to go into the details) and found the R=sqrt(13) and a=-56.31. So 2sin(x)-3cos(x)=sqrt(13)sin(x-56.31)
Then I said sqrt(13)sin(x-56.31)=1 (as required in first equation), solved for x and got 72.4 and 220.2 (if 0<x<360). This, according to the textbook solution, is the correct answer.
HERE COMES THE PROBLEM
As stated, I equated the left hand side to Rsin(x+a). But surely, it doesn't matter whether I equate the equation to Rsin(x+a), Rsin(x-a), Rcos(x+a) or Rcos(x-a). Surely, when I solve for x, it should be the same answer, regardless which formula I used. So I tested this out.
I equated 2sin(x)-3cos(x) to Rcos(x+a) instead
Expanded Rcos(x+a) to Rcos(x)cos(a)-Rsin(x)sin(a)
Equated coefficients: Rcos(a)=-3 & -Rsin(a)=2, so Rsin(a)=-2
Solved for R and a, and got R=sqrt(13) and a=33.69
So 2sin(x)-3cos(x)=sqrt(13)cos(x+33.69).
Set the equation: sqrt(13)cos(x+33.69)=1
Solved for x and got, *drum roll*, 40.21 and 252.41. Two completely different answers!
Got so frustrated that I decided to generate the graphs on a graph sketcher to see what was going on. Turns out that sqrt(13)sin(x-56.31) generates the same graph as 2sin(x)-3cos(x), thus confirming that it is a correct equation.
However, the graph of sqrt(13)cos(x+36.69) generates the REFLECTION in the x axis, of 2sin(x)-3cos(x).
Why is this happening! What have I done wrong in calculating the cos equation to mean that it doesn't produce the same graph as the others!
cos(x) = -sin(x - 90°), which you can verify by expanding the right side.

So cos(x + 33.69°) = -sin(x - 90° + 33.69°) = -sin(x + 56.31°)
So the left and right sides are equal in magnitude, but opposite in sign. Adding a sign to sin(x + 56.31°) causes a reflection across the x-axis.

Related to HELP with trigonometric identites

What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, and are true for all values of the variables in the equation. They are used to simplify and solve trigonometric equations.

Why do we need to know trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are important in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. They allow us to solve complex equations and make calculations involving angles and triangles.

How do I memorize trigonometric identities?

The best way to memorize trigonometric identities is through practice. Make flashcards, create a cheat sheet, or use mnemonic devices to help you remember the different identities. It also helps to understand the basic principles behind each identity, rather than just trying to memorize them.

What are the most commonly used trigonometric identities?

Some of the most commonly used trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, sum and difference identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and product-to-sum identities.

How do I use trigonometric identities to solve equations?

To use trigonometric identities to solve equations, you must first identify the type of equation you are dealing with (e.g. Pythagorean, sum and difference, etc.). Then, use the appropriate identity to simplify the equation and solve for the variable. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the problem.