Help with volume of solid of revolution/integration by parts question

In summary: Just use u=√x all the way through the integral.In summary, the problem has a typo and the correct answer is (π/2)(e^2+1)
student93

Homework Statement

The problem is attached in this post.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've set up the integral via disk method: π∫(e^√x)^2 dx from 0 to 1

I've done integration by parts by don't know how to integrate the second term of the integration by parts which is: ∫(xe^2√x)/(√x) dx from 0 to 1

Also the answer to the question is (π/2)(e^2+1)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-02-12 at 1.31.32 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-02-12 at 1.31.32 PM.png
    8 KB · Views: 482
Physics news on Phys.org
student93 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've set up the integral via disk method: π∫(e^√x)^2 dx from 0 to 1

I've done integration by parts by don't know how to integrate the second term of the integration by parts which is: ∫(xe^2√x)/(√x) dx from 0 to 1

Also the answer to the question is (π/2)(e^2+1)

That problem obviously has a typo in it somewhere. Your integral is correct but it is not an elementary integral and won't match any of the answers.

I'm pretty sure there's no typo in the question, when I plug in the integral into wolfram alpha, I get the correct answer which is (π/2)(e^2+1)

Last edited:
How did you do the integration by parts? For the integral:

[tex]\int_0^1 e^{2\sqrt{x}}dx[/tex]

Did you think about a substitution?

LCKurtz said:
That problem obviously has a typo in it somewhere. Your integral is correct but it is not an elementary integral and won't match any of the answers.

student93 said:
I'm pretty sure there's no typo in the question, when I plug in the integral into wolfram alpha, I get the correct answer which is (π/2)(e^2+1)

Yep. I looked at it too quickly. Try ##2\sqrt x = \ln u## on it.

PeroK said:
How did you do the integration by parts? For the integral:

[tex]\int_0^1 e^{2\sqrt{x}}dx[/tex]

Did you think about a substitution?
u=e^(2√x) dv=dx
du=(e^(2√x))/(√x) dx v=x

∫e^(2√x)dx = xe^(2√x) - ∫((xe^(2√x))/(√x)

I think parts was the wrong way to go. What about the obvious substitution u = √x? In the original integral.

I don't think u-substitution works in this case, also the directions specifically ask to solve the question via integration by parts.

Also here's the original integral:

π∫e^(2√x) dx, from 0 to 1

student93 said:
I don't think u-substitution works in this case, also the directions specifically ask to solve the question via integration by parts.

The u-substitution does work. It simplifies things ready for the integration by parts!

student93 said:

Also here's the original integral:

π∫e^(2√x) dx, from 0 to 1

Substitution does work. Try one of the substitutions that have been suggested and you will see.

Could you please show exactly how you would do the u-substitution before doing integration by parts? I want to make sure I understand this concept etc.

Related to Help with volume of solid of revolution/integration by parts question

1. How do I find the volume of a solid of revolution using integration by parts?

To find the volume of a solid of revolution using integration by parts, you will need to use the formula V = π∫(f(x))^2dx, where f(x) is the function that represents the cross-sectional area of the solid. Then, you will need to use integration by parts to solve the integral and find the final volume.

2. What is integration by parts and how is it used in finding the volume of a solid of revolution?

Integration by parts is a mathematical technique used to solve integrals that are products of two functions. In the context of finding the volume of a solid of revolution, integration by parts is used to solve the integral for the cross-sectional area of the solid, which is then used in the formula V = π∫(f(x))^2dx to find the final volume.

3. Can integration by parts be used for any shape when finding the volume of a solid of revolution?

Yes, integration by parts can be used for any shape when finding the volume of a solid of revolution. As long as you have the function that represents the cross-sectional area of the solid, you can use integration by parts to solve for the volume.

4. What are the limitations of using integration by parts to find the volume of a solid of revolution?

One limitation of using integration by parts is that it can become quite complex for certain shapes, making it difficult to solve the integral and find the volume. Additionally, integration by parts may not work for every type of function, so alternative methods may need to be used in those cases.

5. Are there any other methods besides integration by parts that can be used to find the volume of a solid of revolution?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to find the volume of a solid of revolution, such as the disk method, the shell method, and the washer method. These methods may be more suitable for certain shapes and can provide an alternative approach to finding the volume of a solid of revolution.