Help with question interpretation

In summary, if a function f has the following property: |f(x)-l|<\epsilon when 0<|x-a|<\delta, then |f(x)-l|<\epsilon/2, when 0<|x-a|<\delta/2.
varignon

Homework Statement

Give an example of a function f for which the following assertion is false:

If [tex]|f(x)-l|<\epsilon[/tex] when [tex]0<|x-a|<\delta[/tex], then [tex] |f(x)-l|<\epsilon/2[/tex], when [tex] 0<|x-a|<\delta/2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really not quite sure what I am looking for here. I think i want a function for which [tex]\delta[/tex] gets smaller much more quickly than epsilon does, any input as to what I am actually looking for would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the problem only asks for "an example", I would go for the simplest. And it looks like a linear function, f(x)= mx+ b, should work. Draw an arbitrary straight line on an xy coordinate system, draw a rectangle at a point on that line, so the line is its diagonal, with [itex]\delta[/itex] as the length of the horizontal side and [itex]\epsilon[/itex] as the length of the vertical side. Now, imagine making [itex]\epsilon[/itex] smaller. How does [itex]\delta[/itex] change? What does the slope have to be so that [itex]\delta[/itex] decreases faster than [itex]\epsilon[/itex]?

If i let b =1, and if m < 1, then [tex]\delta[/tex] gets smaller more quickly than [tex]\epsilon[/tex]. Is f(x) = 0.25x + 1 a suitable answer to this question?

I may have answered too quickly and lead you astray. Yes, if m< 1, [itex]\delta[/itex] gets smaller more quickly than [itex]\epsilon[/itex]- but [itex]\delta[/itex] will reach half its original size exactly when [itex]\epsilon[/itex] reaches half its original size- so linear equations will not work here. Okay, then, what about y= x2? Take (0,0) as your initial point and [itex]\epsilon= 1[/itex]. What does [itex]\delta[/itex] have to be? Now take [itex]\epsilon= 1/2[/itex]. What does [itex]\delta[/itex] have to be.

[tex]\delta[/tex] has to be sqrt(2), which is still greater than [tex]\delta/2[/tex]. Further investigation revealed that this seemed to be the case for x^3 etc too. I tried it with 1/(x^2), as a=1, l=1, that seemed to work quite nicely. Is this a useful candidate?

Last edited:

Related to Help with question interpretation

1. What does it mean to "interpret" a question?

"Interpreting" a question means understanding the meaning and intention behind it. It involves analyzing the language and context of the question to determine what information is being sought.

2. Why is it important to interpret questions accurately?

Interpreting questions accurately is important because it ensures that the answer provided is relevant and addresses the actual question being asked. It also helps to avoid misunderstandings and confusion.

3. What are some strategies for interpreting questions effectively?

Some strategies for interpreting questions effectively include reading the question carefully, identifying key words and phrases, breaking down complex questions into smaller parts, and considering the context of the question.

4. How can I improve my question interpretation skills?

You can improve your question interpretation skills by practicing regularly, asking for clarification when needed, and seeking feedback on your interpretations. Additionally, learning about different types of questions and their common features can also be helpful.

5. Is there a difference between interpreting a question and answering a question?

Yes, there is a difference between interpreting a question and answering a question. Interpreting a question involves understanding its meaning, while answering a question involves providing a response or solution to the question that has been interpreted.