Help with old AP Calculus problems?

In summary, the conversation revolves around struggling with solving calculus problems and seeking help from others. The problems discussed involve finding x sub 0 in terms of k, finding the slopes and coordinates of tangent lines, finding the value of c, and finding the derivative of an absolute value equation. The participants express their confusion and ask for further explanation or guidance.
demersal
I have been working for over 6 hours trying to break these problems down (my first calc problems!), but I cannot get any major breakthroughs. I have made minor strides in each but have hit a wall. If any of you can offer explanations, work, anything, I would be eternally grateful!
Let h(x) = kx^2 + c
a) Find x sub 0 in terms of k such that the tangent lines to the graph of h at (x sub 0, h(x sub 0)) and (-x sub 0, h(-x sub 0)) are perpendicular.

... I have x = 1/2k. Does that make sense? Ugh, I am so lost.

b) Find the slopes of the tangent lines mentioned in a.

c) Find the coordinates, in terms of k and c, of the point of intersection of the tangent lines mentioned in a.
#2 (couldn't even make a dent)
The line x =c where c > 0 intersects the cubic y = 2x^3 + 3x^2 - 9 at point J and the parabola y = 4x^2 + 4x + 5 at point G.

a) If a line tangent to the cubic at point J is parallel to the line tangent to the parabola at point Q, find the value of c where c > 0.

b) Write the equations of the two tangent lines described in (a).#3
Let f be the function given by b(x) = (|x| - 2) / (x-2)

b) Find b '(1)

c) Find b '(-1)

d) find the range of b

... For this one I don't know how to find the derivative of an absolute value equation.

THANK YOU!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. try it for x^2.3. remember that |x| is just x when x >0.,,,,

thanks for replying, mathwonk.

i gave it a shot with y = x^2 but i still can't get the next step. I'm thinking i need a little more than a shove than a push. haha. if only i was more of left-brain thinker ...

Related to Help with old AP Calculus problems?

1. How can I improve my understanding of old AP Calculus problems?

One way to improve your understanding of old AP Calculus problems is to review the concepts and formulas covered in the problem. Make sure you understand the underlying principles and how they apply to the specific problem. You can also try solving similar problems from other sources or asking for help from a tutor or teacher.

2. What should I do if I am stuck on an old AP Calculus problem?

If you are stuck on an old AP Calculus problem, try breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Focus on one concept at a time and try to apply it to the problem. You can also try looking for patterns or using different methods to approach the problem. If you are still stuck, don't be afraid to ask for help.

3. How important is it to practice with old AP Calculus problems?

Practicing with old AP Calculus problems is crucial for success on the AP exam. These problems are designed to test your understanding of key concepts and prepare you for the types of questions you will encounter on the exam. Regular practice with old problems can also help you identify areas where you need to improve.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve old AP Calculus problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve old AP Calculus problems. However, it is important to remember that the calculator is only a tool and you should also be able to solve problems without it. Make sure you are familiar with your calculator's capabilities and how to use it effectively for AP Calculus problems.

5. How can I check my work when solving old AP Calculus problems?

To check your work when solving old AP Calculus problems, try plugging your answer back into the original problem to see if it works. You can also compare your solution to the solutions provided in the answer key or ask for feedback from a teacher or tutor. It is important to check your work to catch any mistakes and improve your understanding of the concepts.