Help with Linear motion Question

In summary, the problem involves two primates, George and a gorilla, swinging on vines of equal length from a stationary tree branch. They meet at the lowest point of their swings and hold onto each other as they swing upward, reaching a point where the vine makes an angle of 35 degrees with the vertical. The task is to find the ratio of their masses, m/M, using the concepts of linear momentum and energy conservation. One possible approach is to set up equations for the initial and final momenta and energies and solve for the unknown ratio. However, this may require additional information such as the initial velocities of the primates.
elementis0

Homework Statement

Heres is the problem I am trying to solve:

George of the jungle, with mass m, swings on a light vine hanging from a stationary tree branch.
a second vine of equal length hangs from the same point, and a gorilla of larger mass M swings in the opposite direction on it.
Both vines are horizontal when the primates start from rest at the same moment, George and the Gorilla meet at the lowest point of their swings.
Each is afraid that the vine will break, so they grab each other and hang on.
They swing upward together, reaching a point where the vine makes an angle of 35 degrees with the vertical.

The question is to find the ratio m/M

Homework Equations

No equations, just use the concepts of linear momentum and energy.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been at this problem about an hour and have not found what works..

Heres what I tried, which is probably totally wrong.

First I looked at the momentum by saying that before the collision the momenum of this system is the following:

p_initial = mv1 + Mv2

and when they collide at the lowest point I said

P_final = (m+M)vf

Using conservation of momentum I got:
mv1 + Mv2 = (m+M)vf

I also looked at the energy of the system and said that right when they collide the only energy will be kinteic in the system so

E_initial = 0.5mvf + 0.5Mvf = (1/2)(m + M)vf

and then after they reach that given angle of 37, I interpreted the question as that being their max height of the swing so the only energy would be the potential which I modeled as

E_final = (m+M)g(L-Lcos(theta)) where L-Lcos(theta) is their height above the lowest point of the swing.

So my since energy is conserved I got:

Energy: (1/2)(m + M)vf = (m+M)g(L-Lcos(theta))But when trying to manipulate that system of eqn's I fail to be able to reasonably find the ratio of m/M which should come out to being an actual number...

Help Por favor?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm... for

mv1 + Mv2 = (m+M)vf

would it be true that v1 = -v2? because then i would have two eqns and two unknowns...

Related to Help with Linear motion Question

What is linear motion?

Linear motion, also known as rectilinear motion, is a type of motion where an object travels in a straight line.

What is the difference between linear and circular motion?

Linear motion occurs when an object travels in a straight line, while circular motion occurs when an object moves in a circular path.

What are the main principles of linear motion?

The main principles of linear motion include inertia, velocity, acceleration, and force.

How is linear motion calculated?

Linear motion can be calculated using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

What are some real-life examples of linear motion?

Some real-life examples of linear motion include a car traveling in a straight line, a person walking on a straight path, and a falling object moving straight down due to gravity.