Help with interpretation of question. (Differential equations)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation using the substitution method and finding the values of c1 and c2. The values of c1 and c2 are then used to determine the behavior of the formula, but the significance of these results is unclear.
sid9221
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33103477/Linear%20oscilator.png

I am having trouble understand the question, what I have done its solve the equation using the substitution [tex]x=e^{rx}[/tex]

Then, I have the solution given by:

[tex] x(t)=c_1 e^{t(\sqrt{\gamma^2 - \omega^2 })} + c_2e^{-t(\sqrt{\gamma^2 - \omega^2)}} [/tex]

So at x(0)=0,

[tex] c_1 + c_2 = 0[/tex]

and, x'(0)=v
[tex] v=c_2(\sqrt{\gamma^2 - \omega^2} - \omega) + c_1(\sqrt{\gamma^2 - \omega^2}+\omega) [/tex]

Not quite sure how to proceed as if \omega is greater than \gamma I get imaginary values and the opposite gives real, but what does that mean ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming everything is correct and I see it is correct up to taking the derivative and plugging in zero (I was too lazy to take the derivative). If omega > gamma, you would have [itex]e^{ait}[/itex] where I am using a = radical.

What is [itex]e^{ait}\mbox{?}[/itex] Can you rewrite e in this form as some other transcendental?

If they are real, you just have a DE with of the form Ae+Be.
Equal you just have a constant.

Also, I see you didn't solve for you constant. You set it up but that was it.
$$
\begin{bmatrix}1&1&0\\
\sqrt{\gamma^2-\omega^2}-\omega & \sqrt{\gamma^2-\omega^2}+\omega & v
\end{bmatrix}
$$
When you solve this system, what do you get for [itex]c_1,c_2[/itex]?

Last edited:
Okay so working out [tex] c_1 = -v/2\omega [/tex] and [tex] c_2 = v/2\omega [/tex] what does that mean for the formula I don't get what I'm suppose to interpret from these results ?

Related to Help with interpretation of question. (Differential equations)

1. What is the meaning of "differential equations"?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a quantity changes over time or space, based on its rate of change.

2. How are differential equations used in science?

Differential equations are used in many fields of science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering, to model and predict the behavior of complex systems and phenomena. They are especially useful for describing systems that involve change and dynamics, such as motion, growth, and decay.

3. What are the types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs) which involve a single independent variable, and partial differential equations (PDEs) which involve multiple independent variables. Other types include linear and nonlinear differential equations, and first-order and higher-order differential equations.

4. How do you solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some equations have analytical solutions, which can be found using algebraic or calculus techniques. Other equations may require numerical methods, such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods, to approximate the solution. In some cases, a differential equation may have no solution or multiple solutions.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in many real-world applications, such as modeling population growth, predicting weather patterns, understanding fluid dynamics, and designing electrical circuits. They are also used in fields like economics, medicine, and ecology to understand and make predictions about complex systems.