Help with formula and explanation

In summary: Hi Atkinson1988,I've moved this thread to the introductory physics homework forum. In the future please place homework questions in the appropriate homework forum and use the template provided therein.Thanks.
Atkinson1988
Good Morning / Afternoon,

I'm looking at a question which has been given to me and I'm trying to find out what the answer / formula would be to it.

The question is as follows:

A student has been asked to move a box of mass 15 kg onto a shelf that is at a height 2 m above the ground level and 10.85 m from where the box was originally kept. The student is moving with the box at a steady speed of 0.123 m/s. As the student approaches the shelf, he notices another student is opening the door adjacent to the shelf area. i. If the student is able to apply sufficient force to stop in 1.2 s, will the student avoid a collision if the opening door is 0.8 m ahead of the box? (We Assume that the student is applying the same magnitude of force throughout that time.

I'm new to physics, I've emailed my tutor however I'm yet to have a response and this is slowly eating my brain. Would someone be kind enough to:

1. Help me with the answer / formula
  2. Give me a small / brief explanation on how they found that answer / formula (it would help me greatly)
As always when I use an online forum any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
How would you characterize the force ... ie. does the force vary with time?
What sort of motion goes with that kind of force?
What equations do you know that relate to that sort of motion?

ie. have you tried drawing a v-t diagram for the motion?

Hi Atkinson1988,

I've moved this thread to the introductory physics homework forum. In the future please place homework questions in the appropriate homework forum and use the template provided therein.

Atkinson1988 said:
  1. Help me with the answer / formula
Readers are not allowed to help until you show a good attempt, first.

Initially, I think you should explain the essential problem in your own words, so we can see that you do understand the situation.

Hi thanks for your responses, totally understand, I'm unable to edit my original post to add this content in, I don't see an option to edit. Can someone shed some light into how I go about doing this?

Atkinson1988 said:
Hi thanks for your responses, totally understand, I'm unable to edit my original post to add this content in, I don't see an option to edit. Can someone shed some light into how I go about doing this?

There is only a limited amount of time after posting that you can edit the post. Just make a new post with the information.

Atkinson1988 said:
These are the headers under which you need to write your post requesting help with homework:

Homework Statement

2. Homework Equations
3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

1. What is a formula in science?

A formula in science is a concise way of representing a complex relationship between variables. It is a mathematical expression that describes a scientific principle or law.

2. Why is it important to understand formulas in science?

Understanding formulas is important in science because they allow us to make predictions and calculations based on known variables. They also help us interpret and explain data and observations.

3. How can I remember complex scientific formulas?

One way to remember complex scientific formulas is to break them down into smaller parts and understand the meaning of each variable or symbol. You can also create visual aids or use mnemonic devices to help you remember the formula.

4. Can you provide an example of a scientific formula and its explanation?

A well-known example of a scientific formula is E=mc², which represents Einstein's theory of special relativity. This formula explains the relationship between energy (E), mass (m), and the speed of light (c). It states that energy and mass are equivalent and can be converted into one another.

5. How can I check if I have correctly applied a formula in a scientific experiment?

To check if you have correctly applied a formula in a scientific experiment, you can perform a calculation using the formula and compare it to your experimental data. If they align, it is likely that you have applied the formula correctly. You can also consult with colleagues or refer to reputable sources to verify your results.