How Does Particle in a Box Relate to Quantum Mechanics?

In summary: It's difficult to see how such a tiny energy could equate to ##3 m/s## for an object of ##3g##.Also, because the ball is in a box with infinitely high walls, it should have an infinite potential energy
Zeynaz
Homework Statement
A ball of mass 3 g is trapped in a box with infinitely high walls. The width of the box is 8 cm.
a) Calculate the speed of the ball when it is in the ground state of the box
b)Estimate the quantum number n if the ball is moving with a constant speed of 2 m/s in the box
Relevant Equations
Ek= 1/2 (m)(v)^2
E=hf
E-n= (n^2*h^2)/ (8*m*L^2)
I am having difficulties understanding this concept. Particle in a box (as far as i understood) shows that the electrons or particles need a certain about of potential energy to escape the one-dimentional potential well. I think its pretty similar to the concept of the electons and ionising energies. (correct me if i am wrong).

so in question a) i tried to use the formula by just using the values i knew, L=0.08 m and m=3e-3 kg. I also took n=1.
As a result E=4.32e-30 J. When i equate this energy with KE. I get a small velocity of 3m/s. (The correct answer is 1.0e-30 m/s)
I am not sure how to find the right answer.
Also, because the ball is in a box with infinitely high walls, it should have an infinite potential energy thus inifinite KE. So how is it possible to find a value for this.

can someone explain/help?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Zeynaz said:
As a result E=4.32e-30 J. When i equate this energy with KE. I get a small velocity of 3m/s. (The correct answer is 1.0e-30 m/s)
I am not sure how to find the right answer.

It's difficult to see how such a tiny energy could equate to ##3 m/s## for an object of ##3g##.

Zeynaz said:
Also, because the ball is in a box with infinitely high walls, it should have an infinite potential energy

The potential is 0 inside the box.

oh right i used m as the electron but i had to use the mass of the ball.
this gives me v= 5.37e-14 m/s which is still not the correct answer.
Also, if the potential is 0 inside the box, E=KE.

Zeynaz said:
oh right i used m as the electron but i had to use the mass of the ball.
this gives me v= 5.37e-14 m/s which is still not the correct answer.
Also, if the potential is 0 inside the box, E=KE.

You need to show your calculations. Although it looks like you've simply not squared Planck's constant.

yes you were right i made a mistake with my calculations.
then in this case my only question would be;
would it be possible to say that E(n)= PE+KE= hf?

Zeynaz said:
yes you were right i made a mistake with my calculations.
then in this case my only question would be;
would it be possible to say that E(n)= PE+KE= hf?

Thers is no potential in the box. That's a basic assumption about the problem. The only potential is the "infinite" potential outside the box, which stops the particle getting out.

alright, thanks!

Related to How Does Particle in a Box Relate to Quantum Mechanics?

1. What is a "Particle in a Box"?

A "Particle in a Box" refers to a theoretical model in quantum mechanics where a particle is confined to a finite space or region, such as a one-dimensional box. This model is often used to understand the properties and behaviors of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. How does the "Particle in a Box" model work?

In this model, the particle is assumed to have zero potential energy inside the box and infinite potential energy outside the box. This means that the particle can only exist within the boundaries of the box and cannot escape. The model uses mathematical equations to describe the particle's energy, position, and momentum within the box.

3. Why is the "Particle in a Box" model important in science?

The "Particle in a Box" model is important because it helps scientists understand the behavior of particles in confined spaces, which is crucial in fields such as quantum mechanics and nanotechnology. It also provides a simplified way to study complex systems and can be used to make predictions about the properties and behaviors of particles.

4. What are some real-world applications of the "Particle in a Box" model?

The "Particle in a Box" model has many applications in various fields, including chemistry, physics, and materials science. For example, it can be used to understand the electronic properties of atoms and molecules, the behavior of electrons in semiconductor materials, and the properties of nanoparticles.

5. Are there any limitations to the "Particle in a Box" model?

Yes, the "Particle in a Box" model is a simplified representation of a particle's behavior and does not account for all possible scenarios. It assumes that the particle is confined to a specific region and does not interact with anything outside of that region. This means that it cannot fully describe the behavior of particles in more complex systems and environments.