Help with Exam Question on Optical Position Encoder

In summary, the conversation involves determining the resolution of an optical position encoder used on a robot axis, finding the maximum allowable shaft motion to prevent the counter from over-ranging, and calculating the amount of shaft movement represented by a given binary output. The resolution is determined by using the 10:1 gear ratio and the number of slits, and the maximum count of the 12 bit counter is used to calculate the maximum allowable shaft motion. For the given binary output, the decimal equivalent is calculated to be 1522.
rlspin
Hello everyone, I have an exam in a few days and need help with a question on one of the past exam papers.

An optical position encoder used on a robot axis has a 10:1 gear ratio, an optical disc with 72 slits, and a 12 bit binary counter. Determine:

(i)
The resolution of the encoder i.e. the minimum angular movement of the measured shaft that can be detected?

(ii)
The maximum allowable shaft motion to ensure that the counter never over-ranges?

(iii)
The amount of shaft movement represented by a binary output of 0101 1111 0010?

For (i), the encoder has a 12 bit binary count, so the resolution will be:
360/2^12 = 0.088°

Im not sure what to do for (ii) and for (iii), I understand that the binary output corresponds to the numbers 5 15 2 but what do I do with them, if i even need them?

Physics news on Phys.org
For (i), you need to use the 10:1 gear ratio (wish they were more explicit about which way the X10 goes...) and the number of slits, not the max count of the counter.

It's in (ii) that the max count comes into play, along with your answer for (i).

On (iii), that number is not 5 15 2. The spaces are just there for readability. What is that binary number in decimal?

Ok cool, so am I right in saying that (i) the resolution will be 360/(10*72)?

Im still not 100% sure about (ii)

and for (iii), 0101 1111 0010 in decimal would be:
2^1 + 2^4 + 2^5 + 2^6 + 2^7 + 2^8 + 2^10 = 1522

rlspin said:
Ok cool, so am I right in saying that (i) the resolution will be 360/(10*72)?

Im still not 100% sure about (ii)

and for (iii), 0101 1111 0010 in decimal would be:
2^1 + 2^4 + 2^5 + 2^6 + 2^7 + 2^8 + 2^10 = 1522

Good. For (ii), you know how many pulses per revolution you get from (i), and you should be able to say what the maximum count is out of the 12 bit counter...

Related to Help with Exam Question on Optical Position Encoder

1. What is an optical position encoder?

An optical position encoder is a device used to measure the position or movement of an object. It consists of a light source, a code wheel with patterns of light and dark areas, and a sensor that detects changes in light intensity to determine the position of the object.

2. How does an optical position encoder work?

An optical position encoder emits light onto a code wheel, which has patterns of light and dark areas. As the code wheel rotates, the light is either blocked or passed through the patterns, creating a series of pulses. These pulses are then converted into electrical signals and used to determine the position of the object.

3. What are the advantages of using an optical position encoder?

Optical position encoders offer high precision and accuracy in measuring position and movement. They are also reliable and durable, with no mechanical parts that can wear out over time. Additionally, they are compact and can be easily integrated into various systems.

4. What are some common applications of optical position encoders?

Optical position encoders are commonly used in robotics, CNC machines, and other industrial machinery to accurately control the position and movement of components. They are also used in computer mouse, printers, and other consumer electronics.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with an optical position encoder?

If you are experiencing issues with your optical position encoder, some common troubleshooting steps include checking the power supply, ensuring proper alignment of the encoder components, and cleaning any dirt or debris that may be blocking the light source or sensor. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to replace the encoder or seek professional assistance.