How Do You Calculate Angular Resolution and RPM from Encoder Pulses?

In summary, we discussed the calculation of angular resolution and motor speed for an optical incremental encoder with 1,000 pulses per revolution and a frequency output of 5,000 pulses per second. The angular resolution was found to be 0.36 degrees per pulse and the motor speed was determined to be 300 RPM. Additional information on optical and differential pressure sensors can be found through online resources such as Google Images and Wikipedia.
JohnielWhite
I was given the following question "An optical incremental encoder that produces 1,000 pulses per revolution is connected to the shaft of a motor. Determine the angular resolution of the encoder in degrees and the motor speed in RPM, if the encoder outputs 5,000 pulses
in 1 second."

I am not sure if this is correct but this is what is did.

Angular resolution= 360deg/1000
= 0.36deg/pulse

Using the formula frequency= (line count* RPM)/60
==> RPM= (60*f)/line count
= (60*5000)/1000
= 300rpm

Could some1 please verify this? Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right.

thanks for replying to my post... much appreciated... can u suggest any website that i can read more about optical and differential pressure sensors?

JohnielWhite said:
thanks for replying to my post... much appreciated... can u suggest any website that i can read more about optical and differential pressure sensors?

I find that using Google Images works well for finding information on stuff like this. Maybe give that a try. wikipedia.org is also pretty helpful often for learning about devices.

ok... i'll get on it asap... thanks again for your response...

Related to How Do You Calculate Angular Resolution and RPM from Encoder Pulses?

What is an optical incremental encoder?

An optical incremental encoder is a type of sensor used to measure the position, speed, and direction of motion in a mechanical system. It works by converting the physical movement of an object into an electrical signal, which can then be interpreted by a computer or other device.

How does an optical incremental encoder work?

An optical incremental encoder typically consists of a light source, a disc with evenly spaced opaque and transparent sections, and a sensor. As the disc rotates, the sensor detects changes in the light intensity and converts them into electrical signals. The number of signals corresponds to the position and direction of the object being measured.

What are the advantages of using an optical incremental encoder?

Optical incremental encoders offer high accuracy, resolution, and repeatability, making them ideal for applications that require precise measurements. They are also resistant to dust, dirt, and other environmental factors, making them reliable in harsh conditions.

What are the applications of optical incremental encoders?

Optical incremental encoders are commonly used in industrial automation, robotics, and motion control systems. They can also be found in consumer electronics such as computer mice, printers, and digital cameras.

How do I choose the right optical incremental encoder for my application?

When selecting an optical incremental encoder, consider factors such as resolution, accuracy, and environmental conditions. It is also important to consider the required electrical output, as some encoders may use different types of signals such as analog, digital, or pulse.