Rotary Encoder Pulses to DC voltage

In summary, according to the conversational content, someone is looking for a way to turn the pulses from a rotary encoder into a voltage that goes up when the encoder is turning clockwise and down when turning counterclockwise. There are a few possible solutions, but the simplest and quickest option is to use a microcontroller to convert the pulses into digital form and then use a DAC to output the information.
Mindscrape
Does anybody know a good way to take the pulses from a rotary encoder and turn them into a DC voltage that would go up for clockwise turning and down for counterclockwise turning? I have the A and B pulses from the encoder, and that's about it as of yet. I also have these chips
http://www.lsicsi.com/pdfs/Data_Sheets/LS7183_LS7184.pdf
and was thinking I could do something similar to what the datasheet suggested: use a digital potentiometer to get a linear gain from an inverting op amp. The only thing is that the AD digital pot they listed doesn't have the resolution I want, and the part count is starting to get up there.

I know this must be pretty standard from the perspective of robotics, and I'm thinking that there must be a good way to get an analog readout of the shaft position that I just haven't come up with yet. Any suggestions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would take a micro-controller with a DAC function for this. It should be the simplest and quickest way to get this up and running.

I'm not sure what type of resolution you want, but 10-12 bit DACs should not be a problem to find in a mcu.

You could run the UP and DN clocks into independent integrators -- diode, resistor, capacitor -- with appropriate time constants, and then to the + & - inputs of an opamp. But it's probably too much of a kludge.

I don't know of a "pretty standard" robotics use for this. Motor controllers I've worked with do the tracking digitally, so I second mdjensen22's micro-controller suggestion. You might do some google-digging for early quadrature schematics and see if there's anything of interest.

Run the A and B outputs into the clock and D inputs on a D type flip flop. Q and /Q will switch states when the direction of rotation changes.

Mindscrape said:
Does anybody know a good way to take the pulses from a rotary encoder and turn them into a DC voltage that would go up for clockwise turning and down for counterclockwise turning?

The micro-controller suggestion is a good one.

Another option is to use an N-bit counter and a DAC. Many counting chips will count up or down. So, connect the outputs of your Quadrature Clock Converter to the up/down inputs of a binary counter. Then the binary counter feeds the DAC.

example parts that might work:
74F579 8-bit binary counter
DAC0808 8-bit D/A converter

asynchronous13 said:
The micro-controller suggestion is a good one.

Another option is to use an N-bit counter and a DAC. Many counting chips will count up or down. So, connect the outputs of your Quadrature Clock Converter to the up/down inputs of a binary counter. Then the binary counter feeds the DAC.

example parts that might work:
74F579 8-bit binary counter
DAC0808 8-bit D/A converter

Yeah, I think I will end up doing something like this because while I have a microcontroller handy, it only has an ADC, not a DAC. Plus I can get handy surface mount parts with counters and DACs this way. Thanks for all the suggestions everybody!

Related to Rotary Encoder Pulses to DC voltage

1. What is a rotary encoder pulse?

A rotary encoder pulse is a type of sensor that converts mechanical motion into electrical signals. It typically consists of a rotating disk with evenly spaced notches or teeth and a stationary sensor that detects the changes in the position of the disk. Each notch or tooth corresponds to a certain number of pulses, which can be used to determine the direction and speed of rotation.

2. How does a rotary encoder pulse generate DC voltage?

A rotary encoder pulse generates DC voltage by converting the mechanical motion into electrical signals, which are then processed by a microcontroller or other circuitry. The number and frequency of the pulses can be used to calculate the rotation speed and direction, and this information is then used to generate a DC voltage output.

3. What are the advantages of using a rotary encoder pulse to generate DC voltage?

One of the main advantages of using a rotary encoder pulse to generate DC voltage is its accuracy. Rotary encoders are highly precise and can provide a high resolution of measurements. They are also compact and durable, making them suitable for a wide range of applications. Additionally, they do not require any physical contact, which eliminates the risk of wear and tear.

4. What are some common applications of rotary encoder pulse to DC voltage conversion?

Rotary encoder pulse to DC voltage conversion is commonly used in motion control systems, such as motor control, robotics, and CNC machines. It can also be used in navigation and positioning systems, such as GPS, as well as in industrial automation and measurement equipment.

5. How can I choose the right rotary encoder pulse for my application?

Choosing the right rotary encoder pulse for your application depends on several factors, including the required resolution, speed, and accuracy, as well as the environmental conditions and budget. It is important to carefully consider these factors and select a rotary encoder with the appropriate specifications to ensure optimal performance.