Help with capital sigma notation please.

In summary, the Riemann Zeta function is defined as an infinite sum of terms involving complex numbers, and can also be expressed using the exponential function. The notation for this function can lead to some confusion, but it is important to keep in mind that it only makes sense for certain values of s. Additionally, the function can be written as a "sum within a sum" using a double summation notation.
rustynail
I was playing a bit with the Riemann Zeta function, and have been struggling with some notation problems.

The function is defined as follows

[tex] \zeta (s) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^s} [/tex]

where [tex] s \in \mathbb{C} [/tex]

we know that

[tex] n^s = exp(s\;ln\;n)[/tex]

so I can write

[tex] \zeta (s) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{exp(s\;ln\;n)} [/tex]

but since

[tex] \frac{1}{exp(s\;ln\;n)} = 1 + \frac{1!}{(s\;ln\;n)} + \frac{2!}{(s\;ln\;n)^2} + ... =
1 + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{n!}{(s\;ln\;n)^n} [/tex]

how can I write this ''sum within a sum''? ζ(s) here, if I am correct, would be an infinite sum of terms which are infinite sums.

Thank you for taking the time to help!edit :

Could I say

[tex]1 + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{n!}{(s\;ln\;n)^n} = a_k[/tex]

then

[tex] \zeta (s) = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} a_k[/tex]

Does that make any sense?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
rustynail said:
but since

[tex] \frac{1}{exp(s\;ln\;n)} = 1 + \frac{1!}{(s\;ln\;n)} + \frac{2!}{(s\;ln\;n)^2} + ... =
No.

What you can say is that
[tex]\exp (s \ln n) = \sum_{r=0}^{\infty} \frac{(s\ln n)^r}{r!}[/tex]
What you did, simply inverting each term on the right hand side to get [itex]1/\exp(s\ln n)[/itex], is invalid.

This is what you need to use for [itex]1/\exp(s\ln n)[/itex]:
[tex]\frac 1{\exp(s\ln n)} = \exp (-s \ln n) =
\sum_{r=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-s\ln n)^r}{r!} =
\sum_{r=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^r(s\ln n)^r}{r!}[/tex]

rustynail said:
I was playing a bit with the Riemann Zeta function, and have been struggling with some notation problems.

The function is defined as follows

[tex] \zeta (s) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^s} [/tex]

where [tex] s \in \mathbb{C} [/tex]

This only makes sense for [itex]\,Re(s)>1\,[/itex]...careful!

DonAntonio

we know that

[tex] n^s = exp(s\;ln\;n)[/tex]

so I can write

[tex] \zeta (s) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{exp(s\;ln\;n)} [/tex]

but since

how can I write this ''sum within a sum''? ζ(s) here, if I am correct, would be an infinite sum of terms which are infinite sums.

Thank you for taking the time to help!

edit :

Could I say

[tex]1 + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{n!}{(s\;ln\;n)^n} = a_k[/tex]

then

[tex] \zeta (s) = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} a_k[/tex]

Does that make any sense?

Thank you DH for the help, and DonAntonio for your rigor, I need to work on that.

But in this part,

[tex]\sum_{r=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^r(s\ln n)^r}{r!}[/tex]

Don't we need to to take the sum of all terms with both n and r, from 1 to ∞? Could I write it as

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \; \sum_{r=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^r(s\ln n)^r}{r!} [/tex] ??

Last edited:
Sure, your approach is correct. You can write the Riemann Zeta function as a sum of infinite sums, where each term in the outer sum corresponds to the coefficient of the inner sum. So, your notation of ζ(s) as a sum of a_k is valid. However, keep in mind that the Riemann Zeta function has a special notation using the capital Greek letter ζ, so you can also write it as:

ζ(s) = 1 + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{n!}{(s\;ln\;n)^n}

or in your notation:

ζ(s) = 1 + \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} a_k

Either way, both notations convey the same meaning. Keep in mind that the Riemann Zeta function is a complex-valued function, so s \in \mathbb{C} means that s can take on any complex value. This allows for different values of s to produce different results for the Riemann Zeta function. I hope this helps clarify your notation problems.

Related to Help with capital sigma notation please.

1. What is capital sigma notation?

Capital sigma notation is a mathematical notation used to represent the sum of a series of numbers or terms. It is represented by the symbol Σ and is often used in calculus, statistics, and other areas of mathematics.

2. How do I use capital sigma notation?

To use capital sigma notation, you must first identify the starting and ending values of the series. The letter below the sigma symbol represents the starting value, and the number above the sigma symbol represents the ending value. Then, you must write the expression or equation that will be used to calculate each term in the series. The variable in the expression will take on the values from the starting to ending value, and the results of each term will be added together.

3. Can you give an example of capital sigma notation?

Sure. An example of capital sigma notation is Σn=1^5 (2n+1). This means that the starting value is 1, the ending value is 5, and each term in the series is calculated by plugging in the values of n from 1 to 5 into the expression 2n+1. The results of each term (3, 5, 7, 9, and 11) are then added together to get the final sum of 35.

4. What is the purpose of using capital sigma notation?

The purpose of using capital sigma notation is to simplify the representation of a series of numbers or terms. It also makes it easier to calculate the sum of a series, especially when there are a large number of terms involved. Additionally, it allows for a more concise and efficient way of writing mathematical expressions and equations.

5. Are there any rules or properties associated with capital sigma notation?

Yes, there are several rules and properties associated with capital sigma notation, including the commutative property, distributive property, and the fact that the order of terms in the series does not affect the final sum. It is important to understand these rules and properties when working with capital sigma notation in order to use it correctly and efficiently.