Help with algebra problem involving logs

• Thread starter strike2kill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the base changing theorem to find the value of Y in the equation (Log3 of x )( Logx of 2x)(Log2x of Y) =(log x of x^2). After discussing the use of the theorem and how to apply it to the equation, the conversation turns to finding the answer on Wolfram Alpha. However, it is noted that Wolfram Alpha does not provide the answer, although it can be read off the graph it generates.
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you know about the base changing theorem?

Welcome to PF, strike2kill! :smile:

strike2kill said:
If (Log3 of x )( Logx of 2x)(Log2x of Y) =(log x of x^2) what is the value of Y?

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(Log3+of+x+)(+Logx+of+2x)(Log2x+of+Y)+=(log+x+of+x^2)

Wolfram Alpha gives me that but i need to know how to get there. THANKS!

What you would need is that ##\log_g a = {\log a \over \log g}##.
Can you find Y if you use this?

Btw, let's redo WolframAlpha with the proper expression:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=log(3,+x)+*+log(x,++2x)+*+log(2x,+Y)+=+log(x,+x^2)
Actually Wolfram does not give the answer, although you can read it off the graph that it generates.

I'm sort of familiar with the change of base formula but I don't know how to apply it here

Replace (Log3 of x) by log(x)/log(3) and so on...

This has nothing to do with "Linear and Abstract Algebra" so I am moving it to "general mathematics".

Related to Help with algebra problem involving logs

What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that represents the inverse of an exponential function. It is used to solve equations involving exponential expressions and is denoted by "log".

How do I solve an algebra problem involving logs?

To solve an algebra problem involving logs, you can use the properties of logarithms such as the product, quotient, and power rules. You can also use the change of base formula if necessary.

What is the purpose of using logs in algebra?

Logs are used in algebra to solve equations and simplify expressions involving exponential functions. They allow us to convert exponential equations into simpler linear equations, making them easier to solve.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when dealing with logs?

One common mistake is forgetting to apply the correct properties of logarithms when simplifying expressions. Another mistake is incorrectly using the base of the logarithm, especially when using the change of base formula.

How can I check my answer when solving an algebra problem involving logs?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation and verifying that it satisfies the given conditions. You can also use a calculator to evaluate the logarithmic expression and compare it to your answer.