Tom's question at Yahoo Answers regarding solving for a limit of integration

In summary, the integral from 0 to x of 5000 times the expression 1 minus 100 over the quantity t plus 10 squared is equal to I. Using the FTOC, we can find that x is equal to I plus or minus the square root of I squared plus 200000I, all over 10000. However, since this may result in a singularity, it is important to substitute the value of I to find the two possible values of x, which are 10 and -5.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Tom,

Since I don't know the value the definite integral is to have, I will use $I$:

\(\displaystyle 5000\int_0^x 1-\frac{100}{(t+10)^2}\,dt=I\)

First, let's divide through by 5000:

\(\displaystyle \int_0^x 1-\frac{100}{(t+10)^2}\,dt=\frac{I}{5000}\)

Next, let's use the anti-derivative form of the FTOC on the left side:

\(\displaystyle \left[t+\frac{100}{t+10} \right]_0^x=\frac{I}{5000}\)

\(\displaystyle \left(x+\frac{100}{x+10} \right)-\left(0+\frac{100}{0+10} \right)=\frac{I}{5000}\)

\(\displaystyle x+\frac{100}{x+10}-10-\frac{I}{5000}=0\)

Now, multiply through by $x+10$:

\(\displaystyle x(x+10)+100-\left(10+\frac{I}{5000} \right)(x+10)=0\)

Arrange in standard quadratic form:

\(\displaystyle x^2+10x+100-10x-100-\frac{I}{5000}x-\frac{I}{500}=0\)

\(\displaystyle 5000x^2-Ix-10I=0\)

Applying the quadratic formula, we find:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{I\pm\sqrt{I^2+200000I}}{10000}\)

Now, you just need to substitute the value of $I$ to find the two possible values of $x$, taking care not to cross the singularity in the original integrand.

In order for $x=10$, we find that we require \(\displaystyle I=25000\), however, this also allows $x=-5$.

To Tom and any other guests viewing this topic, I invite and encourage you to post other calculus questions here in our http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f10/ forum.

Best Regards,

Mark.

Related to Tom's question at Yahoo Answers regarding solving for a limit of integration

1. What is a limit of integration?

A limit of integration is a value that defines the boundaries of an integral. It indicates the starting and ending points for the integration process.

2. How do you solve for a limit of integration?

To solve for a limit of integration, you first need to determine the function being integrated. Then, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions to solve the integral. Finally, plug in the limit values to find the numerical value of the integral.

3. What are the different types of limits of integration?

The different types of limits of integration include definite and indefinite limits. Definite limits have specific numerical values, while indefinite limits are represented by variables or symbols.

4. Can a limit of integration be negative?

Yes, a limit of integration can be negative. This can occur when the function being integrated has negative values within the specified boundaries.

5. Are there any special cases when solving for a limit of integration?

Yes, there are special cases when solving for a limit of integration. These include improper integrals, which have infinite limits of integration, and trigonometric integrals, which require the use of trigonometric identities to solve.