Help with a real life physics mystery

In summary, a forum user has moved into a new house with an older style fridge and has noticed strange ice spikes forming in their ice cube tray. They have searched for a reasonable explanation but have not found one yet. Other forum members have shared similar experiences and have provided a possible answer, which can be found in a link shared by another member. The phenomenon is not supernatural and has been discussed before on the forum.
TheDoctoRR
First of all hi to the forum, I've read topics here for years but this is my first post. I thought I would post this up for the sharp minds here as this is really baffling me.

I have moved into a new house with an older style fridge and a couple weeks in I pulled out an ice cube tray and it had a spike of ice protruding from it. It seemed very odd but I assumed perhaps it had been under something that allowed the ice to form upwards against the now moved object (2 of the attached pictures are of the first instance). A week later, however, the same thing happened again and this time I can confirm there was nothing on top of the tray at any time. This time the ice spike formed in a different cube compartment of the ice cube tray. (the other 2 attached pictures are of the second instance). Both times the ice cube trays were in roughly the same location of the freezer and though I have searched I cannot find any reasonable explanation for this phenomenon. There does not seem to be any strong air current in the freezer though that is unlikely due the individual nature of the occurrence within an ice tray.

This is not a hoax and unless I see Jesus in the ice tray next I am unlikely top make any money off this. I do have a master in biology and thus I am no expert but I have a strong basic understanding of chemistry and physics and therefore my curiosity is killing me. Any suggestions? Ideas? Oh, and I am pretty sure that its not supernatural as I haven't heard any rattling chains or disembodied footsteps...

Attachments

• IMG_1355.jpg
    IMG_1355.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_1356.jpg
    IMG_1356.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 403
Physics news on Phys.org
the other two pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_1393.jpg
    IMG_1393.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_1396.jpg
    IMG_1396.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 413
This has been discussed here before. It apparently is not a terribly rare phenomenon, but I don't remember any of the details. Try a forum search for "weird ice" or similar phrases.

Related to Help with a real life physics mystery

What is a real-life physics mystery?

A real-life physics mystery is an unexplained phenomenon or event in the physical world that scientists are still trying to understand and explain using the laws and principles of physics.

Why is it important to solve real-life physics mysteries?

Solving real-life physics mysteries not only helps us better understand the world around us, but it also allows us to make advancements in technology, medicine, and other fields by applying the principles and theories we discover.

How do scientists approach solving a real-life physics mystery?

Scientists use the scientific method, which involves making observations, forming hypotheses, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to reach a conclusion about the mystery. They also collaborate with other scientists and use advanced technology and mathematical models to help solve the mystery.

What are some famous examples of solved real-life physics mysteries?

Some famous examples include the mystery of the Bermuda Triangle, which was solved by understanding the effects of magnetic fields on navigation systems, and the mystery of the moving stones in Death Valley, which was solved by understanding the unique weather conditions in the area.

Are there any real-life physics mysteries that are yet to be solved?

Yes, there are many real-life physics mysteries that are still unsolved, such as the existence of dark matter and dark energy, the origin of the universe, and the mystery of consciousness. These mysteries continue to challenge and intrigue scientists, and they are constantly working towards finding answers.