Mysterious Ice Shard Formation in Freezer

In summary, the water surface is not at rest due to vibrations from the fridge, so at one point, some part of the irregular surface will become ice. Then, gradually, the water cools and the ice forms shards.
$roman
I would like to know if anyone else has seen this (photo below). I put a tray of purified water in my freezer and by the time it had half-way frozen, inch long ice shards at about a 45° angle had formed, grown right up out of the surface of the water.

Can anyone point me to an explanation of how that happens?
I recognize that on every ice cube in this batch, they have lumps and irregular surfaces, but long thin shards are especially weird. I have also seen my ice freeze with a nice flat surface if I am not mistaken.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8826/224242crop.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Water surface is not at rest due to vibrations from fridge. So at one point, some part of the irregular surface will become ice..then it gradually continues to cool...
If you cool water in a calm place you might get flat surface.
Also from photo i notice you kept some metallic spoon which might conduct heat faster than water...so cooling process should be initiated from spoon..and then to water near spoon..it also depends on the sticking force of water to spoon..
May be if you don't use spoon, then the surface might be smoother..

Rajini said:
Water surface is not at rest due to vibrations from fridge. So at one point, some part of the irregular surface will become ice..then it gradually continues to cool...
If you cool water in a calm place you might get flat surface.
Also from photo i notice you kept some metallic spoon which might conduct heat faster than water...so cooling process should be initiated from spoon..and then to water near spoon..it also depends on the sticking force of water to spoon..
May be if you don't use spoon, then the surface might be smoother..
Vibrations. Well, that makes sense. Thanks for that insight, but there is no spoon anywhere there. If you click the photo, you can see it full sized.

I guess that the ice formation of shards has something to do with how ice actually forms at a molecular level. It would seem that once crystals start forming, there is either a pulling of molecules like little magnets lining up or for some reason a higher level change in local water pressure near crystal formation that causes water to want to move up a crystal formation. It would be cool to have an illustration and explanation of what it really is though.

The ice will form from the sides toward the middle of the top surface, which results in, at some point, a small hole in the middle of the top surface. Since ice is less dense than water, as the ice under the surface freezes (along the surface of the ice tray), some water will get pushed-up and out the hole.

russ_watters said:
The ice will form from the sides toward the middle of the top surface, which results in, at some point, a small hole in the middle of the top surface. Since ice is less dense than water, as the ice under the surface freezes (along the surface of the ice tray), some water will get pushed-up and out the hole.
Oh yeah. That makes sense. One can even see a trail of air bubbles going up the "spout". Though, it's amazing that it can go that far and act that quickly. I do recall noticing, since I pulled it out half-way through the freezing process, that all of the ice was on the top and sides of the "cube" next to the tray surface and the middle was still liquid.
So, you expand that by many orders of magnitude and you get Superman's ice fortress. :-p
Man, I'd like to get that on video. Hmm.

Related to Mysterious Ice Shard Formation in Freezer

1. What causes the formation of mysterious ice shards in the freezer?

The formation of ice shards in the freezer is typically caused by fluctuations in temperature. When the temperature inside the freezer fluctuates, the moisture in the air can freeze and create ice shards.

2. Can the ice shards be harmful to the food in the freezer?

In most cases, the ice shards are not harmful to the food in the freezer. However, they can cause freezer burn if they come into direct contact with the food. It is best to remove the ice shards or store food in airtight containers to avoid any potential harm.

3. How can I prevent the formation of ice shards in my freezer?

To prevent the formation of ice shards, it is important to maintain a consistent temperature in the freezer. Make sure the door is closed properly and avoid frequent opening and closing. Additionally, keeping the freezer stocked with food can help regulate the temperature and prevent ice shard formation.

4. Are there any health concerns related to the presence of ice shards in the freezer?

In general, the presence of ice shards in the freezer does not pose any health concerns. However, if the ice shards are caused by a malfunctioning freezer or power outage, the food in the freezer may not be safe to consume. It is important to regularly check the temperature and condition of your freezer to ensure food safety.

5. Can I remove the ice shards from my freezer without causing damage?

Yes, it is possible to remove the ice shards from the freezer without causing damage. You can use a hairdryer on a low setting to melt the ice shards, being careful not to heat up the freezer too much. You can also use warm water to melt the ice shards, but make sure to dry the area thoroughly afterwards to prevent refreezing.