Help with a MOSFET exercise - Id and Rout

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the student is struggling with an exercise in analog circuits and is asking for help calculating voltage gain and output resistance. They have two questions about the calculation of output resistance and are confused about the role of the channel-length modulation parameter (λ) and the coupling capacitor (C3). The expert explains that λ is typically a small value and does not necessarily mean that output resistance is infinite, and clarifies the equations for Id and Ugs. The expert also notes that C3 may affect the value of Id, but is not directly related to Rout. They offer encouragement and advice for the student to keep practicing and understanding the concepts.
knightmetal

Homework Statement

I must admit I'm a noob when it comes to Analog Circuits, I need help! it actually took me a while to understand what the problem is and how to explain it to you guys.

I'm given the attached exercise and I'm asked to calculate voltage gain and output resistance, both with written computations and with a simulation of the circuit in MicroCap. The purpose is basically to compare the values and discuss possible discrepancies.

I have two questions about the calculation of output resistance. It seems like an easy task but I think the consultation I had not long ago with my teacher confused me even more.

2. Homework Equations and The attempt at a solution

I found this equation:

Code:
  Rout = 1 / (λ * Kp (Ugs - Ut)^2) = 1 / (lambda * Id)

I also found that when W and L are given

Code:
 Id = 1/2 * Kp * W / L * (Ugs - Uth)^2

My first confusion and question is that if λ = 0, as you can see in the picture, it automatically means that Rout goes off to infinity, but why would my teacher give me such an exercise to compute?

Second question. Assuming that λ is different from 0. I've been trying to find 'Rout' with the two equations I know but there's always something wrong while solving. I don't know how to find Id. My teacher told me that

Code:
 Ugs = (5 - Rs * Id)

but then if
Code:
Id = 1/2 * Kp * W / L * (Ugs - Uth)^2
and
Code:
 Ugs = (5 - Rs * Id)

Does the equation above make sense? why do I have two Id's on both sides of the equation? assuming this is right, the result for 'Id' I get does not make sense.

Another confusion is that in the exercise C3 is not given. In the MicroCap simulation this capacitor, as you may know, regulates the value of 'Id' but then I get totally confused because Id depends on C3 but C3 is nowhere in the equations. I hope this is clear and I'm sorry if the answer is too simple.

If there's anybody who can help me clarify this I'd really appreciate it. I really struggle with this course badly, this is for sure because of my poor background.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Attachments

• hw.jpg
    hw.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 458
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

I can understand your confusion with this exercise. It is common for students to struggle with analog circuits, especially when they are new to the subject. Let me try to help you with your questions.

Firstly, about the calculation of output resistance, it is important to note that λ is the channel-length modulation parameter, which is typically a small value. So, even if it is equal to 0, it does not necessarily mean that Rout goes off to infinity. It just means that the output resistance is very high, but not infinite. Your teacher may have given you this exercise to help you understand the concept of output resistance and how it is affected by different parameters in the circuit.

Moving on to your second question, the equation that you have written for Id is correct, but it is not necessary to solve for Id in order to find Rout. You can use the equation for Id to find the output resistance directly. Also, the equation Ugs = (5 - Rs * Id) is not correct. It should be Ugs = (5 - Rs * Id - Uth), where Uth is the threshold voltage. This is because Ugs is the gate-source voltage, which is equal to the voltage at the gate minus the voltage at the source. So, in this case, it should be 5V - (Rs * Id) - Uth.

Regarding the confusion with C3, I believe it is not necessary to include it in the equations for finding Rout. C3 is a coupling capacitor, which is used to block DC signals and only allow AC signals to pass through. It does not have a direct effect on Rout, but it may affect the value of Id in the circuit.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. Don't worry, with practice and a good understanding of the concepts, you will be able to solve these types of problems easily. Keep working hard and don't give up!

Related to Help with a MOSFET exercise - Id and Rout

1. What is a MOSFET?

A MOSFET (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor) is a type of transistor that is commonly used in electronic circuits. It is a three-terminal device that can be used for amplification, switching, and other electronic functions.

2. What is Id in relation to a MOSFET?

Id, or Drain Current, is the current that flows through the drain terminal of a MOSFET. It is controlled by the voltage at the gate terminal and can be used to amplify signals or switch on/off electronic circuits.

3. How is Id calculated in a MOSFET?

Id can be calculated using Ohm's law, where Id = (Vgs - Vt) / Rds, where Vgs is the gate-to-source voltage, Vt is the threshold voltage, and Rds is the resistance between the drain and source terminals.

4. What is Rout in relation to a MOSFET?

Rout, or Output Resistance, is the resistance seen at the output of a MOSFET. It is a measure of how much the output voltage changes for a given change in the output current. A higher Rout value indicates a better output resistance.

5. How is Rout calculated in a MOSFET?

Rout can be calculated by taking the inverse of the slope of the output characteristics curve of a MOSFET. It can also be approximated using the formula Rout = ΔVout / ΔIout, where ΔVout is the change in output voltage and ΔIout is the change in output current.