Why Does Vout Become Constant in a MOSFET Circuit at High Vin?

In summary, the conversation discusses plotting Vout vs Vin for a circuit using square law equations for MOSFET transistors. The circuit has a threshold voltage Vth and operates in three modes: off, where Vout = 0; linear, where Vout = Vin - Vth; and triode, where the current is constant and Vout = (Vdd * Rs) / (Rs + Rf). The conversation also mentions confusion about the current becoming constant in triode mode and the book's answer providing the value of Vout as the voltage division of Rs and Rf. The speaker is looking for an intuitive explanation for this.
act858

Homework Statement

I would like to plot Vout vs Vin for the following circuit:

i3xy8i.png

Homework Equations

Square law equations for MOSFET transistors.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm calling the threshold voltage Vth.

My understanding of the circuit is this:
1. From 0 < Vin < Vth, the transistor will be off, and no current will be flowing though Rs, making Vout = 0.
2. Now Vout = Vin - Vth until the drain voltage is at Vin - Vth. This is because as Vin increases, the current through Rs increases proportional to Vin^2, which pushes the voltage at Vout up proportional to Vin^2.
3. When the drain equals Vin - Vth the transistor will enter triode mode. Here's where I get confused. In triode, the current should be linear in Vin. So applying the same logic as in 2, Vout should continue to follow Vin - Vth. But when I run the simulation in SPICE, it stops and becomes constant. The current also becomes constant. (Vth = 1 for this transistor)

21bktj5.jpg

My book also has this as the answer and gives the value of Vout to be the voltage division of Rs and Rf. I'm not sure how to arrive here, it seems like the current is no longer dependent on Vin at this point when it should be. Can someone explain what's going on, specifically why the current stops depending on Vin? If the current is constant then I can accept that the voltage will be constant. But then, what would be the intuitive way to see that Vout = (Vdd * Rs) / (Rs + Rf)? Here's my books answer for reference:

rlvm1f.png

Physics news on Phys.org
See attached for standard MOSFET equations including the Early effect. Stick to the "simple analytical model".

Attachments

• MOS equations.pdf
    60.6 KB · Views: 488

Related to Why Does Vout Become Constant in a MOSFET Circuit at High Vin?

1. What is a MOSFET and how does it work?

A MOSFET (metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor) is a type of transistor that is used to amplify or switch electronic signals. It works by using an electric field to control the flow of current between its source and drain terminals.

2. What is the purpose of this MOSFET circuit?

The purpose of a MOSFET circuit can vary depending on its design and components. However, some common purposes include amplification of signals, switching ON/OFF electronic devices, and acting as a voltage regulator.

3. How do I calculate the voltage and current values in this MOSFET circuit?

To calculate voltage and current values in a MOSFET circuit, you will need to know the values of the components used (such as resistors and capacitors), the voltage and current supply, and the specifications of the MOSFET itself. You can use Ohm's law and Kirchoff's laws to determine the values.

4. What are the different types of MOSFET circuits?

There are three main types of MOSFET circuits: common source, common gate, and common drain. In a common source circuit, the input signal is applied to the gate and the output is taken from the drain. In a common gate circuit, the input is applied to the source and the output is taken from the drain. In a common drain circuit, the input is applied to the gate and the output is taken from the source.

5. How do I troubleshoot a malfunctioning MOSFET circuit?

If a MOSFET circuit is not functioning properly, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue. First, check all the connections to ensure they are secure. Next, check the components to see if any are damaged or need to be replaced. You can also use a multimeter to check for continuity and measure voltage and current at different points in the circuit. If these steps do not resolve the issue, it may be necessary to consult a professional or refer to the circuit's design and specifications for further troubleshooting.