Help Understanding Equation 3.6 in Covariant Physics by Moataz H. Emam

In summary, the conversation is about the transformation equation for a displacement vector in Moataz H. Emam's book, Covariant Physics. The author uses Einstein index notation to show the covariance of classical mechanics and the transformation of the position vector. The final equation, 3.6, has a typo and should read "j" instead of "i'". The derivation is straight-forward and involves using the transformation equations for primed coordinates. The author's point is to show that it transforms like a tensor and is therefore invariant.
louvig
Screenshot_20230623_170351_Kindle.jpg
I am a physics enthusiast reading Covariant Physics by Moataz H. Emam. In his chapter about Point Particle mechanics there is a transformation equation for a displacement vector. I don't see how he arrived at the final equation 3.6. Is it a chain rule or product rule? Can't seem to figure it out. See attachment. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a bit difficult to read. Also, perhaps needs some context re the author's notation.

Likes topsquark
PeroK said:
It's a bit difficult to read. Also, perhaps needs some context re the author's notation.
Sorry. I tried a screenshot from Kindle instead. I am able to click on it in my smartphone and make it full screen and is legible. The author is showing the covariance of classical mechanics using Einstein index notation. In this instance he is showing the transformation of the position vector which is straightforward and then the transformation of the derivative of the position vector. His point is to show ot transforms like a tensor and is therefore invariant.

eq 3.6 has a typo, this index should read ##j## https://web.cortland.edu/moataz.emam/
1687583372935.png

The derivation is straight-forward:
Use that ##\hat{ \textbf{g}}_{i'} = \lambda^k_{i'} \hat{ \textbf{e}}_k ## and ##x^{i'} = \lambda^{i'}_j x^j##.
We get ## d\hat{ \textbf{g}}_{i'} = \hat{ \textbf{e}}_k d \lambda^k_{i'} ## and ##x^{i'} = x^j d\lambda^{i'}_j + \lambda^{i'}_j dx^j##.
And you will obtain the final step in that equation.

Likes louvig, FactChecker and PeroK
Thank you so much. Makes sense.

louvig said:
View attachment 328307I am a physics enthusiast reading Covariant Physics by Moataz H. Emam. In his chapter about Point Particle mechanics there is a transformation equation for a displacement vector. I don't see how he arrived at the final equation 3.6. Is it a chain rule or product rule? Can't seem to figure it out. See attachment. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Everything with primed coordinates was replaced with its transformation. So x’=lambda x and so on.

Likes Nugatory