Help proving polynomial identity

In summary, the problem asks to prove the equation (b-a)(b^{p-1}+b^{p-2}a+b^{p-3}a^2+...+ba^{p-2}+a^{p-1}) when p is a positive integer. The hint suggests using the telescoping property for sums. The attempt at a solution involves reducing the equation to (b-a)\sum_{k=1}^p b^{p-k}a^{k-1} and expanding it out to see the relation to geometric series. This is a useful and important formula in induction problems.
alyks

Homework Statement

Prove the following when p is a positive integer:
[tex]b^p - a^p = (b-a)(b^{p-1}+b^{p-2}a+b^{p-3}a^2+...+ba^{p-2}+a^{p-1})[/tex]

Hint: Use the telescoping property for sums.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried reducing it to, [tex](b-a)\sum_{k=1}^p b^{p-k}a^{k-1}[/tex] but I wasn't able to do anything with it.

I've been trying to work on this exercise which is a part of a problem set in induction. But I've been having quite a bit of difficulty and I'd appreciate it if somebody here could give me a hint as to the general direction. It's been bugging me for the past few days.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what telescoping is but er

[tex] (b-a)(b^{p-1}+b^{p-2}a+b^{p-3}a^2+...+ba^{p-2}+a^{p-1})[/tex]

is [tex]b(b^{p-1}+b^{p-2}a+b^{p-3}a^2+...+ba^{p-2}+a^{p-1}) -a(b^{p-1}+b^{p-2}a+b^{p-3}a^2+...+ba^{p-2}+a^{p-1})[/tex].

If you can't see what that gives, expand it out by executing the multiplications and collecting up terms.

Quite a useful and important formula. When you do geometric series the same one is involved - make the relation.

Related to Help proving polynomial identity

1. What is a polynomial identity?

A polynomial identity is an equation that holds true for all values of the variables involved. It can be thought of as a mathematical rule that is always true, regardless of the specific numbers or variables being used.

2. Why is it important to prove polynomial identities?

Proving polynomial identities is important because it helps to establish the validity and accuracy of mathematical theories and formulas. It also allows for the development of new mathematical concepts and theorems.

3. How do you prove a polynomial identity?

There are several methods for proving polynomial identities, including direct substitution, algebraic manipulation, mathematical induction, and the use of identities and theorems. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the identity being proven.

4. What are some common challenges in proving polynomial identities?

One common challenge in proving polynomial identities is the complexity and number of steps involved in the process. Another challenge can be identifying the correct method to use for a particular identity. Additionally, errors in calculations can also pose a challenge in the proof.

5. Can computer programs be used to help prove polynomial identities?

Yes, computer programs can be used to help prove polynomial identities, especially for more complex identities. These programs use algorithms and mathematical logic to perform the necessary calculations and steps to prove the identity.