HELP Please I only have 1 more day to figure this out

• Thread starter drhope1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the speaker is seeking help with finding the vertical and horizontal asymptotes, relative extrema, inflection points, and intervals of increase/decrease and concavity for the given functions. They suggest evaluating limits at the borders of the function's domain and taking derivatives to find the extrema and inflection points. They also mention using the signs of the first and second derivatives to determine intervals of increase/decrease and concavity.
drhope1
HELP! Please! I only have 1 more day to figure this out!

If there is ANYONE out there who is a kind enough person to help me with this (and knows how to do it!) I would be VERY grateful! I only have one more day to work on these problems! Thank you so much!:confused:

For the following functions:
a) y = xe^(1/x)
b) y = xe^(-x)

I need to find:
1) vertical and horizontal asymptotes
2) relative extrema
3) inflection points
4) intervals where the function is increasing/decreasing
5) where the function is concave up/down

Be sure to evaluate limits at the borders of the domain of the function (e.g. infinity, negative infinity, one sided limits around vertical asymptotes...)

Physics news on Phys.org

to find the asymptotes, try graphing the functions

to find extrema, take the derivative of each function (using the chain rule..) and set it equal to zero. then see which values of x make the derivative zero. if the derivative goes from - to + through the zero, it is a relative min. If it goes from + to -, it is a relative max.

inflection points are the zeroes of the second derivative.

if the value of the first derivative is positive, the fcn is increasing. if it is negative, the fcn is decreasing.

the fcn is concave up/down at the relative extremum points (concave up for a relative min, concave down for a relative max)

good luck

Related to HELP Please I only have 1 more day to figure this out

What is the problem you are trying to solve?

The problem I am trying to solve is [insert problem]. I only have one more day to figure it out, so I am under a lot of pressure to find a solution.

What have you tried so far?

I have tried [insert methods or strategies] to solve the problem, but none of them have been successful. I am open to any suggestions or advice.

What resources do you have available?

I have access to [insert resources] that may be helpful in solving the problem. However, I am limited on time, so any suggestions that can be implemented quickly would be greatly appreciated.

Are there any specific requirements for the solution?

Yes, there are specific requirements for the solution. It needs to [insert requirements]. I am also looking for a solution that is efficient and effective.

What is the deadline for finding a solution?

The deadline for finding a solution is in one day. I am running out of time, so any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.