Help needed in solving an IVP D.E. over 2 intervals

In summary, the conversation is about solving a differential equation with initial conditions and finding a solution that makes the first and second derivatives continuous at a given point. The conversation includes discussion and calculations for two different intervals, 0 ≤ x ≤ π/2 and x > π/2, and how to solve for the particular solution using the new initial conditions. The person asking for help mentions being tired and having other assignments to complete.
bobmerhebi

Homework Statement

y" +4y = g(x) ; y (0) = 1 & y(0) = 2

g(x) =
sinx , 0 [tex]\leq[/tex]x [tex]\leq[/tex] pi/2
0 , x [tex]\succ[/tex] pi/2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1> g(x) = sin x

solving i get :
yc = ec1sin2x + ec2cos2x

US set of sin x = {sinx, cosx} so yp = Asinx + Bcosx

solving i get:
yp = (1/3)sinx

so
y = ec1sin2x + ec2cos2x + (1/3)sinx ...(1)

for the conditions given i get:

c1 = 5/6e & ec2 = 1/e

thus (1) becomes:
y = (5/6)sin2x + cos2x + (1/3)sinx ... (2) for x between 0 & pi/2

2> for g(x) = 0 with x greater than pi/2

we have : y" + 4y = 0
with m1 = 2i & m2 = -2i

y = ec1sin2x +ec2cos2x ...(3)

solving for the conditions giver we get:

c1 = 1/ e = c2 thus
y = sin 2x + cos 2x ... (4)

from here on i can;t figure how to continue to find a solution / y & y' are continuous @ x = pi/2

i need help please.

note that the exercise is long enough to post all the details of the attempt of solution. i hope u reply. thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bobmerhebi! :smile:

(have a ≤ and a ≥ and a π :wink:)

(and why are you using the difficult-to-read-and-type c1 and c2 instead of the usual A and B? :rolleyes:)

(and what is e?)

bobmerhebi said:
y" +4y = g(x) ; y (0) = 1 & y(0) = 2

y = (5/6)sin2x + cos2x + (1/3)sinx ... (2) for x between 0 & pi/2

Very good …

now just find y(π/2) and y'(π/2), and use those as your new initial conditions. :smile:

ur right about c1 & c2 but i got used to use them for the homog. solution & A & B... for the particulat sol.'s

after calculating for [tex]\pi[/tex]/2 for both y & y' with x btw 0 & [tex]\pi[/tex]/2 i get:

y([tex]\pi[/tex]/2) = -2/3 &
y'([tex]\pi[/tex]/2) = -1 . but now what?

im asked to find a solution so that y & y' are continuous @ [tex]\pi[/tex]/2.

bobmerhebi said:
y([tex]\pi[/tex]/2) = -2/3 &
y'([tex]\pi[/tex]/2) = -1 . but now what?

im asked to find a solution so that y & y' are continuous @ [tex]\pi[/tex]/2.

Hi bobmerhebi! :smile:

(what happened to that π i gave you? :rolleyes:)

Isn't y'(π/2)-= -5/3?

Anyway, just solve the particular solution all over again, with y(π/2) and y'(π/2) as your new boundary conditions. :smile:

sorry but i still don't get it.

lets go all over again.
1st u asked what is e. its the exponential. why ? is there anything wrong with it?

2nd: u told me to take a = [tex]\pi[/tex], less than & grater than [tex]\pi[/tex]. why is that? & what do u mean by a?

then u said to use y([tex]\pi[/tex]/2) & y'([tex]\pi[/tex]/2). but which y? the one with g(x) = sin x or 0?

as for the y'([tex]\pi[/tex]/2). if its y' of y with x btw 0 & [tex]\pi[/tex]/2 then y'([tex]\pi[/tex]) = (5/6)cos[tex]\pi[/tex] -2sin[tex]\pi[/tex] +(1/3)sin[tex]\pi[/tex]/2 = -4/3

finally ur saying to solve y_p again for those values. how is that if i already have the coefficients?

thx

sorry but i still don't get it.

lets go all over again.
1st u asked what is e. its the exponential. why ? is there anything wrong with it?

2nd: u told me to take a = [tex]\pi[/tex], less than & grater than [tex]\pi[/tex]. why is that? & what do u mean by a?

then u said to use y([tex]\pi[/tex]/2) & y'([tex]\pi[/tex]/2). but which y? the one with g(x) = sin x or 0?

as for the y'([tex]\pi[/tex]/2). if its y' of y with x btw 0 & [tex]\pi[/tex]/2 then y'([tex]\pi[/tex]) = (5/6)cos[tex]\pi[/tex] -2sin[tex]\pi[/tex] +(1/3)sin[tex]\pi[/tex]/2 = -4/3

finally ur saying to solve y_p again for those values. how is that if i already have the coefficients?

thx

bobmerhebi said:

Yes! Why is it there? It's multiplied by an arbitrary constant anyway, so ec1 or ec2 is just the same as c1 or c2.

erm … look at the signature at the bottom of this post! :biggrin:

ah, but isn't it (1/3)cosπ/2?

g(x) = 0, because that's for the interval you'll be dealing with. :smile:

y = (5/6)sin2x + cos2x + (1/3)sinx ... (2) with 0 ≤ x ≤ π/2

y = sin 2x + cos 2x ... (4) with x (just greater than not or equal) π/2

& y(π/2) = -2/3 & y'(π/2) = -5/3

then i should use these new initial conditions with (4). for what? i have y = sin 2x + cos 2x ... (4)

sorry, it might be so simple but I am tired & i have a culture exam 2moro & a 25 page assignment that;s still unfinished. so excuse.

Sorry … I'm not seeing where the problem is …

you worked out the ≤ π/2 section fine :smile:

just go through the same procedure for the ≥ π/2 section …

by definition, they'll fit together continuously. :wink:

Get some sleep now :zzz: and try it again in the morning :smile:

thx i will retry it late this night. unfortunately i have to submit my assignment 2moro morning. but never mind. thanks for ur sincere help

thx i will retry it late this night. unfortunately i have to submit my assignment 2moro morning. but never mind. thanks for ur sincere help

Related to Help needed in solving an IVP D.E. over 2 intervals

1. What is an IVP D.E.?

An IVP D.E. stands for Initial Value Problem Differential Equation. It is a type of differential equation that involves finding a function that satisfies certain conditions, such as a given initial value, over a specific interval.

2. What is the difference between an IVP D.E. and other types of differential equations?

An IVP D.E. differs from other types of differential equations because it involves finding a specific solution that satisfies a given initial condition. Other types of differential equations may involve finding a general solution that satisfies a given equation.

3. Why is solving an IVP D.E. over two intervals important?

Solving an IVP D.E. over two intervals is important because it allows for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the behavior of the function. By solving over two intervals, we can see how the function behaves at different points and determine if there are any discontinuities or other important features.

4. What are some common methods for solving an IVP D.E. over two intervals?

Some common methods for solving an IVP D.E. over two intervals include using separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the dependent variable and then integrating to find the general solution.

5. Can an IVP D.E. over two intervals have multiple solutions?

Yes, an IVP D.E. over two intervals can have multiple solutions. This may occur when the function has different behaviors over the two intervals or when there are multiple solutions that satisfy the given initial condition. It is important to carefully analyze the equation and conditions to find the correct solution.