Help Needed: Finding Voltage at x with Binomial Expansion

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem involving three charges located on the y-axis and finding the voltage at a specific point on the x-axis. The person is struggling to solve the problem and is seeking a hint or advice. They have found an equation for the voltage but are having trouble cancelling out a variable and need to estimate the voltage without an exact value for a variable.
rei
I've been struggling with this problem for hours. I don't know what I did was wrong. Someone please give me a hint or point out where I did was wrong. Thanks a lot.

There are three charges : the first charge of +2Q locates at (0,0), the second charge of -Q locates at (0,d), the third charge of -Q locate (0,-d). Find the voltage at position x (X,0) when X>>>d. Use binomial theorem to expand the answer. Suppose that at x=2m, V= 160, find the approximate value of V at x=4. Assume that d <<<2m

I don't know how to insert a drawing in here. But according to the problem, the three charge would all on the y-axis and the point where we have to find the voltage is going to be on the x axis. I found:

V = (2Q/4*pi*epsilon) * (1/x - 1/sqrt{d^2+x^2})

Even after I use binomial expansion, I still couldn't cancel out d. I assume that somehow I have to cancel out d cause later on I have to estimate V without any exact value for d.

Can I anyone help me please. Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone just give me a hint please

First of all, don't worry about making mistakes or struggling with a problem. It's all part of the learning process and seeking help is a great way to improve your understanding. As for your problem, it seems like you are on the right track by using the binomial expansion. However, it's important to remember that the binomial expansion is an approximation and may not give an exact answer.

One potential issue with your solution is that you may have missed a negative sign when expanding the terms. Also, be sure to use the correct signs for the charges when plugging in values. Another thing to consider is that the binomial expansion may only be accurate for small values of x, so using it for larger values may not give an accurate result.

If you are still struggling, it might be helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and work through them individually. Also, try double checking your calculations and make sure you are using the correct formula for voltage. And don't forget to take into account the direction of the electric field due to the charges.

Overall, don't get discouraged and keep trying. You can also seek help from a tutor or classmate who may have a different perspective on the problem. Good luck!

Related to Help Needed: Finding Voltage at x with Binomial Expansion

1. What is binomial expansion and how is it used to find voltage at x?

Binomial expansion is a mathematical technique used to expand a binomial expression, which consists of two terms, to a larger power. It is commonly used in electrical engineering to find the voltage at a specific point, such as x, in a circuit. This is done by using the binomial expansion formula and plugging in the relevant values for the circuit.

2. Can binomial expansion be used for circuits with complex components?

Yes, binomial expansion can be used for circuits with complex components. The formula can be applied to any circuit as long as the components can be expressed as a binomial expression. In some cases, simplifications may be needed to accurately apply the formula.

3. What are the advantages of using binomial expansion to find voltage at x?

One advantage of using binomial expansion is that it allows for the calculation of voltages at specific points in a circuit without having to solve the entire circuit. This can save time and effort, especially for more complex circuits. Additionally, binomial expansion is a versatile technique that can be applied to a variety of circuits.

4. Are there any limitations to using binomial expansion for voltage calculations?

While binomial expansion is a useful tool for finding voltage at a specific point, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it assumes a linear relationship between voltage and current, which may not always be the case in more complex circuits. Additionally, it may not be as accurate for circuits with non-ideal components.

5. Can binomial expansion be used to find voltage at a point that is in between two components in a circuit?

Yes, binomial expansion can be used to find voltage at any point in a circuit, including points that are in between components. This is because the binomial expansion formula can be applied to any part of a circuit that can be expressed as a binomial expression, regardless of its location in the circuit.