Solving Electric Field & Potential: Jack Needs Help!

In summary: The answer is that the potential changes by zero. So, the electric field at the centre is zero. So, the electric field and the potential are indeed related by E = −∇V. In summary, the electric field at the centre is zero and the potential remains constant, verifying that E = −∇V.
Jackoyo
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
Hi everyone,
I have abit of trouble with this question. Please help!

Given charges +q, +2q, −5q and +2q are placed at the four corners ABCD of a square of side a, taken in cylic order from the bottom left corner. Find the electric field E and the potential V at the centre and verify that they are related by E = −∇V.

I can do the first part which gives 12kq/a^2, and 0, but how do I verify E= −∇V.

Cheers,
Jack

Physics news on Phys.org
Jackoyo said:
Hi everyone,
I have abit of trouble with this question. Please help!

Given charges +q, +2q, −5q and +2q are placed at the four corners ABCD of a square of side a, taken in cylic order from the bottom left corner. Find the electric field E and the potential V at the centre and verify that they are related by E = −∇V.

I can do the first part which gives 12kq/a^2, and 0, but how do I verify E= −∇V.

Cheers,
Jack
First, the equation to be verified is a vector equation, so you need the field as a vector.
Secondly, Del is a differential operator, so you need to consider how the potential changes as you move around near the centre.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electrically charged particle experiences a force.

How do you calculate the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field can be calculated by dividing the force acting on a charged particle by the magnitude of the charge on the particle.

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of work needed to move a unit charge from one point to another in an electric field.

How do you calculate electric potential?

Electric potential can be calculated by dividing the work done in moving a charge by the magnitude of the charge.

What is the relationship between electric field and electric potential?

Electric field and electric potential are related by the equation E = -∇V, where E is the electric field, V is the electric potential, and ∇ is the gradient operator.