Help me Vector Calculus Stumped on how to do these problems

In summary, the first conversation discusses finding the flux of a vector field through a surface that is a portion of a paraboloid cut off by a plane. The second conversation mentions using the Divergence Theorem to find the flux of a vector field through a surface that is bounded by coordinate planes and two additional planes. The standard method for finding the flux involves parametrising the surface, expressing the vector field in terms of the parametrisation, and performing a double integration using the dot product of the vector field and the normal vector. The Divergence Theorem can also be used to solve this problem.
davidson89
1) Let S be the first-octant portion of the paraboloid z = x^2 + y^2 that is cut off by the plane z=4. If F(x,y,z) = (x^2 + z)i + (y^2z)j + (x^2 + y^2 + z)k , find the flux of F through S.

2) Let S be the surface of the region bounded by the coordinate planes and the planes x + 2z = 4 and y = 2. Use the Divergence Theorem to the flux of F(x,y,z) = (2xz)i + (xyz)j + (yz)k through S.

I am really having trouble setting up the integrals to answering these questions. If you could help me set it up and help me find the flux then much would be appreciated. If you could explain step by step to any of these questions i would be very thankful. THANKS

Physics news on Phys.org
Well what have you tried for them?

1. The standard way of doing these surface integrals is to first parametrise the surface S, then next expressing the vector field in terms of the parametrisation. Then you find the dot product of the vector field with the normal vector and perform the double integration over the surface.

2. What does the divergence theorem say and how do you use it?

Related to Help me Vector Calculus Stumped on how to do these problems

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with vector fields, which are mathematical objects that assign a magnitude and direction to each point in space. It involves the study of operations such as differentiation and integration on vector fields.

2. How do I approach vector calculus problems?

The best way to approach vector calculus problems is to first understand the concepts and formulas involved. Then, carefully read and analyze the problem to determine which operations are needed. Finally, apply the appropriate formulas and techniques to solve the problem.

3. What are some common applications of vector calculus?

Vector calculus has many applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze physical phenomena such as fluid flow, electromagnetic fields, and motion in three-dimensional space. It is also used in computer graphics to render realistic images.

4. How can I improve my understanding of vector calculus?

To improve your understanding of vector calculus, it is important to practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the key concepts and formulas. You can also seek help from teachers, tutors, or online resources to clarify any confusion or difficulty you may have.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in vector calculus?

Some common mistakes to avoid in vector calculus include mixing up vector and scalar quantities, not paying attention to vector direction, and making errors in vector operations. It is also important to double-check your work and make sure you are using the correct formulas for the given problem.