Help Me Find This Quote: Earth Obsessed with TV & Fighting

In summary, the conversation discusses a quote about how an extraterrestrial visiting Earth would perceive our society as being more focused on television and fighting rather than science and knowledge. The quote mentions the negative impact of media on children and how society could be different if we emphasized science and hope instead. The quote is possibly attributed to Carl Sagan and can be found on the website Goodreads.
Kaldanis
I'm not sure where to post this, it doesn't really fit anywhere. Anyway, I remember hearing a quote a while ago and I can't completely remember it or who said it. It said something along the lines of "If an extraterrestrial visited earth, they would see a world obesessed with television and fighting rather than science and knowledge... etc" - or something along those lines. It was a lot more elegant than that, though. I have a feeling it was Carl Sagan. Can anyone help me find it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
An extraterrestrial being, newly arrived on Earth - scrutinizing what we mainly present to our children in television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the comics, and many books - might easily conclude that we are intent on teaching them murder, rape, cruelty, superstition, credulity, and consumerism. We keep at it, and through constant repetition many of them finally get it.

I don't know if he really said this, but this site thinks so:
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/show/42205"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much, that's it!

Part of it was missing though, this is the full quote I remember:

An extraterrestrial being, newly arrived on Earth -- scrutinizing what we mainly present to our children in television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the comics and many books -- might easily conclude that we are intent on teaching them murder, rape, cruelty, superstition, credulity, and consumerism. We keep at it, and through constant repetition many of them finally get it. What kind of society could we create if, instead, we drummed into them science and a sense of hope?

Related to Help Me Find This Quote: Earth Obsessed with TV & Fighting

1. What is the significance of the quote "Earth obsessed with TV & fighting"?

The quote highlights the societal issue of humanity's preoccupation with entertainment and conflict rather than focusing on more pressing issues such as the well-being of the planet.

2. Who is the author of the quote "Earth obsessed with TV & fighting"?

The author of the quote is unknown. It may have originated from a speech, book, or other form of media.

3. How does the quote "Earth obsessed with TV & fighting" relate to scientific research?

The quote can be interpreted as a criticism of society's lack of concern for scientific research and progress. It suggests that people are more interested in being entertained and engaging in conflict rather than supporting and investing in scientific advancements.

4. Is there any evidence to support the claim made in the quote "Earth obsessed with TV & fighting"?

There is no scientific evidence that directly supports this claim. However, studies have shown that people spend a significant amount of time watching television and engaging in social media, which can distract them from important issues like climate change and environmental preservation.

5. How can we encourage society to shift their focus from entertainment and conflict to more pressing matters, as suggested in the quote "Earth obsessed with TV & fighting"?

As scientists, we can continue to raise awareness about important issues and advocate for change through education and outreach. We can also collaborate with other fields and utilize various forms of media to reach a wider audience and promote a shift in societal priorities.