War of the Worlds 1988-90: Remembering a Dark, Dystopian Episode w/ Denis Forest

• Thread starter bearcat
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a television series that ran from 1988 to 1990. The speaker is trying to locate a specific episode that they remember enjoying. The series is described as dark and dystopian, with a main villain played by Denis Forest. The episode in question involves a drug that is harvested in a disturbing way from human prisoners. The speaker found the series to be of declining quality over time. They provide a link to IMDb for more information.
bearcat
I am here referring to a television series by this name. American TV is where I saw it. Uncertain where it was filmed.
It ran between 1988 and 1990.

I'm hoping someone with a better memory than mine can help me locate / name a specific episode.
This was long ago, and my memory is fuzzy.

I loved what I saw because it was very dark and dystopian. I vividly recall the actor Denis Forest as the main villain being briliantly cast.
If I remember right, the episode begins with actor Adrian Paul walking through a city. There is a long line of the poor and the ragged desperately waiting to come up to a barred window where drugs are being sold. Adrian spots someone he knows, "Mister Jimmy" (joke, Rolling Stones reference by the writers). Mister Jimmy is violently rebuffed because he can't pay for his fix.

The main thrust of the series was a lot of desperate attempts by the sick and resource-poor hiding Martians to gain control.
In this particular episode, they are developing a drug. It pacifies the violent, but is harvested in a horrific way. Humans are prisoners, put down on their knees, and with no anestsia, a huge glowing needle goes into the back of the neck, at the base of the skull, to extract the ingredient for this drug.

There is a scene in which the drug is demonstrated. Two human prisoners, a man and a woman are put in a barred cell together. The maniac man attacks the woman, and a vicious fight ensues. The drug is shot into the man, and suddenly, he is gentle, petting the woman on the arm.

I tried to track down this series for a long time, and discoverd that over it's course it went very rapidly downhill in quality.

Perhaps memory makes it better than it really was.

Thanks for your assistance...don't really want to plow through that many episodes to find this specific one.

Physics news on Phys.org

Wow, that sounds like a really intense and dark episode! I haven't seen this series myself, but after reading your description I'm definitely intrigued. I'll do some digging and see if I can find the name of the episode for you. It's always interesting to look back on shows we loved from the past and see how they hold up now. Let's hope this one lives up to your memory!

1. What is "War of the Worlds 1988-90" about?

"War of the Worlds 1988-90" is a television series that aired from 1988 to 1990. It is based on the classic science fiction novel by H.G. Wells and follows the story of a group of survivors who must fight against an alien invasion on Earth.

2. Who is Denis Forest and what role did he play in the series?

Denis Forest was a Canadian actor who played the role of Lt. Col. Paul Ironhorse in "War of the Worlds 1988-90". Ironhorse was a military officer and one of the main characters in the series who fought against the alien invaders.

3. What made "War of the Worlds 1988-90" stand out from other science fiction shows of its time?

One of the main reasons "War of the Worlds 1988-90" stood out was its dark and dystopian atmosphere. Unlike other science fiction shows of the time, this series had a more serious and gritty tone, exploring themes of survival, loss, and the human condition in the face of an alien invasion.

4. How did the series end and what was the audience's reaction to it?

The series ended on a cliffhanger, with the fate of the main characters left uncertain. This ending was met with disappointment from fans, who were hoping for a more conclusive resolution to the story. However, the series has gained a cult following over the years and is still remembered as a unique and thought-provoking science fiction show.

5. Is "War of the Worlds 1988-90" available to watch now?

Yes, the series is available to watch on various streaming platforms and DVD sets. It has also been remastered and released on Blu-ray. Fans of the series can still enjoy the dark and dystopian world of "War of the Worlds 1988-90" today.

Back