Help in force-pressure transfer through oil

• Thread starter RogelioAguirre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil
In summary, the person is seeking help with designing a packaging for a MEMS sensor that involves an oil-based diaphragm chamber. The diaphragm is designed to isolate the fluid from the sensor and the oil is used to transfer external pressure without distortion. The equation for transfer of pressure through the oil, considering oil properties and a worst case compression of 2%, is needed. The viscosity of the oil is not important and delay in pressure signal is due to the speed of sound in the oil. The 2% compression at 13.5MPa will require a volume of fluid to be supplied and this should be specified in the data sheet. Minimizing the capsule volume can also help minimize the required oil volume.
RogelioAguirre
Hi Guys,

It Is me again, I am working in the design of a packaging for a MEMS sensor, the package is a oil-based diaphragm, who is basically a chamber that in the bottom has a pressure sensor, the sensor is in the chamber of oil completelly cover by oil, in the other extreme of the chamber there is one membrane (very thin) that is in contact with a uniform pressure. The membrane is design in a way that will not absorb energy and will let pass the pressure from the exterior to the oil inside the chamber (I am attaching a schematic). Here is where I need your help. Which will be the equation to define the transfer of the external pressure to the sensor through the oil considering the properties of the oil (viscosity, etc) and in a worst case a compressibility of 2%. The chamber is closed, there is not interchange of mass. My background is MEMS design, but I need to know how to describe the packaging too.

I really need your help

Attachments

• Sketch.pdf
    38.3 KB · Views: 260
Engineering news on Phys.org
There should be no pressure drop in the transfer through the oil.

The diaphragm is there to isolate the chemistry of the fluid from the sensor. The oil is there to translate the external pressure to the sensor without distortion due to the diaphragm shape.

The oil viscosity is not important because the silicon oil is in a 3D capsule and does not need to flow through any small hole. Delay in the pressure signal due to the oil will be due to the speed of sound in the oil.

The 2% compression of the oil at 13.5MPa will require a volume of fluid be supplied when there is an increase in pressure. If it is significant, the volume of fluid required per MPa should be specified in the data sheet. Since the oil volume can be minimised by minimising the capsule volume, that should be done.

Related to Help in force-pressure transfer through oil

1. What is the purpose of using oil in force-pressure transfer?

Oil is commonly used in force-pressure transfer because it is an incompressible fluid, meaning it does not easily change volume under pressure. This allows for a more accurate transfer of force without any loss due to compression.

2. How does oil help to reduce friction in force-pressure transfer?

By using oil as a lubricant, it creates a thin layer between the two surfaces in contact, reducing the amount of friction between them. This allows for a smoother transfer of force and reduces wear and tear on the surfaces.

3. What factors can affect the efficiency of force-pressure transfer through oil?

The viscosity of the oil, the size and shape of the surfaces in contact, and the amount of pressure being applied are all factors that can affect the efficiency of force-pressure transfer through oil. Higher viscosity oils may provide better lubrication but can also cause more resistance to flow, while rougher or misaligned surfaces can also decrease efficiency.

4. Is there a limit to the amount of pressure that can be transferred through oil?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of pressure that can be transferred through oil. This is known as the yield strength of the oil, which is the maximum stress or pressure it can withstand before it begins to deform or break down.

5. Are there any alternative substances that can be used for force-pressure transfer besides oil?

Yes, there are other substances that can be used for force-pressure transfer, such as water, hydraulic fluids, and even air. However, each substance has its own unique properties and may be more suitable for certain applications. Oil is commonly used due to its availability, high compressibility, and lubricating properties.