Boosting Oil Pressure with a Pressure Booster: The Science Behind It

• Thread starter Yogesh Kulkarni
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow Oil
In summary, the individual is using a Milwaukee pressure booster to achieve a hydraulic pressure of 160 PSI from 80 PSI of shop air. They are using air on one side of the intensifier and oil on the other. Their question is whether blocking the path of oil will result in an increase in pressure. The answer is yes, as the pressure ratio of the booster is fixed and the maximum output pressure will be the input pressure multiplied by the compression ratio.
Yogesh Kulkarni
Hello,
I am trying to design a hydro penumatic circuit. I have shop air at 80 Psi. I need hydraulic pressure of 160 PSI. So I am using pressure booster/Intensifier to pressurise it. there will be air on one side of intensifier and oil on other side of it. my question is if I block path of oil will there be increase in pressure?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

It will depend on what type of intensifier are you using.
Please give us a link to the device.

If all you want is pressure with very low flow you might be able to use a hydraulic cylinder with oil on the rod side and air on the piston face. Many cylinders have a rod area that is close to half the piston face area.

Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.

It will depend on what type of intensifier are you using.
Please give us a link to the device.

If all you want is pressure with very low flow you might be able to use a hydraulic cylinder with oil on the rod side and air on the piston face. Many cylinders have a rod area that is close to half the piston face area.
Thanks for your reply.
I am using milwaukee pressure booster
http://www.milwaukeecylinder.com/

Yogesh Kulkarni said:
my question is if I block path of oil will there be increase in pressure?
Yes. The pressure ratio of a booster is fixed by the ratio of cylinder area to rod area. The maximum output pressure will be the input pressure * compression ratio.
The volume of pressure boosted oil available per cycle is limited to the booster cylinder oil capacity.
If you do not block the oil path, the booster will push oil through the system until the booster reaches the end of it's travel, without reaching the full boosted pressure.

Related to Boosting Oil Pressure with a Pressure Booster: The Science Behind It

What is pressurising oil without flow?

Pressurising oil without flow is the process of increasing the pressure of oil within a system without any movement or flow of the oil.

Why would someone want to pressurise oil without flow?

Pressurising oil without flow is often done as a preventative measure to maintain the pressure within a system and avoid any potential leaks or failures.

How is oil pressurised without flow?

There are several methods that can be used to pressurise oil without flow, including using a positive displacement pump, a pressure vessel, or a compressor.

What are the benefits of pressurising oil without flow?

Pressurising oil without flow can help to prevent air pockets from forming within a system, which can cause damage or decrease efficiency. It can also help to maintain consistent pressure levels and prevent leaks.

Are there any risks associated with pressurising oil without flow?

While pressurising oil without flow can be a useful technique, it is important to carefully monitor the pressure levels and ensure they do not exceed the system's capacity. If the pressure becomes too high, it can cause damage or potential safety hazards.