Help i need answers to maximizing and minimizing problems

• Thread starter equis1989
  • Start date
In summary, for their widget manufacturing business, JNK Inc. has determined through a marketing survey that by selling their widgets for 4 dollars instead of 5 dollars, they can sell 120 widgets instead of 100 widgets. The company pays a fixed rent of 100 dollars for their factory, regardless of production. Additionally, it costs 1 dollar to manufacture each widget. The price function for the company's widgets is p(x) = 4x, and the maximum amount of revenue they can make is $480 (when selling 120 widgets at $4 each).
equis1989

Homework Statement

JNK Inc. has asked you to perform an analysis of their widget manufacturing business. by completing a marketing survey, JNK inc. was able to determine that by selling their widgets for 4 dollars instead of 5 dollars they were able to sell 120 widgets instead of 100 widgets. currently the company pays 100 dollars to rent their gactory regardless of whether they make anything. in addition, it costs JNK inc. $1 to manufacture each widget.
-What is the price function for the companys widgets? the price function p(x) is the price that a company has to charge in order to sell x units.
-what is the maximum amount of revenue they can make?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

p(x)=100+4X

Physics news on Phys.org
p(x)= 100+4x says "they will sell x widgets if the price is p(x)= 100+ 4x dollars". In particular, that says, "they will sell 4 widgets if the price is p(x)= 100+ 16= 116 dollars". That is NOT what the problem says. You might notice one immediate difficulty: your price function is increasing. The MORE they charge, the MORE they sell! That obviously doesn't happen here. Since you have shown no work and not said HOW you got that function, I can't give any suggestions as to what you might have done wrong.

I have been working on it, and i realized what i have done wrong. for the cost, i think the equations would be p(x)=4X and p(x)=5X, and the revenue equations would be p(x)=100+4x and p(x)=100+5X, from there i can get the maximum revenue...?

Again, that makes no sense- you have two different price functions!

You want a function of the form p(x)= Ax+ B such that p(100)= 5 and p(120)= 4.

p(100)= 100A+ B= 5 and p(120)= 120A+ B= 4. Solve those two equations for A and B.

Related to Help i need answers to maximizing and minimizing problems

1. What are maximizing and minimizing problems?

Maximizing and minimizing problems involve finding the largest or smallest value of a given function, subject to certain constraints. These types of problems are commonly encountered in mathematics, economics, engineering, and other fields.

2. How can I solve maximizing and minimizing problems?

There are various methods for solving maximizing and minimizing problems, including graphical methods, calculus, and optimization techniques. The specific method used will depend on the type of problem and the available information.

3. What is the difference between global and local extrema?

Global extrema refer to the largest or smallest value of a function over its entire domain. Local extrema, on the other hand, refer to the largest or smallest value of a function within a specific interval or region. It is possible for a function to have multiple local extrema, but only one global extremum.

4. Can maximizing and minimizing problems be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, maximizing and minimizing problems are commonly used in real-world situations, such as determining the most cost-effective way to produce a product, maximizing profits for a company, or minimizing resource usage. These problems can also be applied in fields such as physics, biology, and chemistry.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving maximizing and minimizing problems?

Some common mistakes when solving maximizing and minimizing problems include not considering all relevant constraints, not properly understanding the problem, and not double-checking the solution. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem, consider all constraints, and check the solution for accuracy.