Help, going to college soon and need advice.

In summary, a physics/mathematics major should try to do things such as participate in extra-curricular activities, learn as much as possible, and be aware of what intelligence is best suited for the field they are studying. Specific to physics and math, algebra is important, and also important to know that physics and math are both built off of calculus.
SrVishi
As the title explains, I am soon going to attend college and I would like some advice one can give for an upcoming physics/mathematics major.

1)What are some things/extracurricular activities/programs/etc. that you recommend a physics student do in his undergraduate years to maximize both their learning experience and chances for graduate school (especially the latter).

2) What societies/clubs are good for a physics student to participate into assist with question #1.

3) What would you advise for questions #1 and #2 for a mathematics student (I am currently a bit undecided between the two.)

All responses will be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's imporant to try new things, even if they are completely unrelated to getting into graduate school. One of the big reasons for this is because extra-curricular involvement can help you when it comes time to leave academia and pursue a career. It's also important to do what interests you because that's what you're going to really put effort towards. Sure, it looks good to have held an exective position in your undergraduate physics society on a graduate application, but if you don't really DO anyting in that position then it's not really going to impress anyone. It would look a lot better if you, for example, joined your school's competative programming team and won an award at a national competition.

Depending on your personality it's also important to have some quality time that's completely removed from your major. At different times during my student years I volunteered with our school's first aid team, or as a peer educator at our sexual assault centre and I think those experiences made a big difference for me as they kept me from burning out.

Choppy said:
Depending on your personality it's also important to have some quality time that's completely removed from your major.
A million times yes. Take it from a 4th year that's completely burnt out, I wish I had done this. Do not focus entirely on academics and do something that's good for you (and for the people around you) as well, with the same degree of dedication. Something that comes to mind would be volunteer tutoring at schools in rough, poor areas.

Relax. Stop seeing every minute of your life as a step on a career path.

I agree entirely with bcrowell.

However, just some general and obvious advice.

Any club that has an active advisor that is passionate about helping his or her students. My math club met once a week and we had no agenda but to solve problems. Our advisor would spend as much time as we wanted in our little room helping us with the problems or giving us his thoughts. I learned a lot of cool math just from tossing ideas around from student to student and having his input.

If you don't get a sense of fulfilment for a club, don't bother with it. My society of physics student was particularly poor at my school, so it was a lot of talk and not much of anything science related. I realized it was a waste of my time, and quickly stopped attending meetings.

There's a very good chance that what you start studying now won't be what you graduate in.

There's a very good chance that your job is completely unrelated or only partially related to your major.

Learn as much as you possibly can. Don't accept anything less than your best in classes. If that's an A, that's an A. Sometimes even getting an A isn't doing your best. Sometimes just getting an A in the course is cheating yourself if you don't truly understand the material. Sometimes a B is your best. Don't beat yourself up if you get a B or a C or even lower, if you gave it your best. Math and physics are challenging subjects. But don't accept anything less than your best. Do well in the classes.

In college, intelligence does start to matter. Now intelligence isn't a simple black/white or even a scale. There's different types of intelligence. A goal of college is to teach you HOW to think. Think critically. Problem solve. You might find in physics or math that you simply don't have the right intelligence (OR the drive). That's a possibility. If that's the case, find what you DO have the intelligence for. Believe it or not, math takes a fairly narrow range of intelligence. So if you want to switch, don't beat yourself up.

Specific to physics and math. Algebra. Algebra skills are the most important. Basic solving equations, manipulating equations. Learn algebra EXTREMELY well. You use algebra ALL the time. In all math classes. All physics classes. So much. Calculus is built off of algebra. Physics is built off of calculus.

Also, are you going to a JC or a 4 year? If you're going to a 4 year I'd strongly strongly recommend against that. Unless you have a full ride or something, it's usually a huge waste of money. Take your gen ed and lower division at a JC. Calculus is just calculus. It doesn't matter where you learn calculus, the derivative of x^2 is 2x no matter where you go. And gen ed doesn't really matter. But you save a TON of money, and are able to get your head on straight. JCs are great.

bcrowell said:
Relax. Stop seeing every minute of your life as a step on a career path.

Agreed.

MY school has an "Undergraduate Research Club." Go ahead and join them as soon as you get there, don't be shy. It doesn't matter if you aren't doing research or not, and they will certainly understand because you are a freshman. It will open up a lot of opportunities to network with students and professors and possibly open up a research project for you later on.

Also, don't goof off in your first year. Those are the easiest classes so you should be able to make A's in all of them. Manage your time wisely (not doing that is what got me 2 B's while I was a freshman).

Related to Help, going to college soon and need advice.

1. How do I choose the right college for me?

Choosing the right college can be overwhelming, but it's important to consider factors such as location, size, academic programs, campus culture, and cost. Make a list of your priorities and research colleges that align with them. It's also helpful to visit campuses and talk to current students to get a feel for the atmosphere.

2. How can I prepare for college academically?

Start by taking challenging courses in high school to build a strong academic foundation. You can also take Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) classes to earn college credit. Additionally, consider taking online courses or enrolling in a local community college to gain college-level experience.

3. What financial aid options are available for college?

There are various forms of financial aid available, including grants, scholarships, loans, and work-study programs. To apply for financial aid, you will need to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Additionally, research and apply for scholarships through your college or external organizations.

4. How should I manage my time in college?

College can be demanding, so it's important to manage your time effectively. Make a schedule and prioritize your tasks. Don't procrastinate and try to balance your academic workload with extracurricular activities and social life. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help or seek support from academic advisors or tutors.

5. What resources are available for students in college?

Colleges offer a variety of resources to support students academically, mentally, and physically. These may include academic advising, tutoring services, counseling, health services, and career services. Take advantage of these resources to help you succeed in college.