Help Find the Unknown Poem About a Grave Stone

• Thread starter The Bob
  • Start date
In summary, the poem is about the dash in the middle of a person's gravestone and how it is significant to only a few people who knew the person.
The Bob
Hi Everyone,

Most of you should know me by now so no introduction. I am 'The Bob'.

Anyway to the point. I heard this poem on the radio a while ago and I did not listen to the beginning, when the presenter said what it was called. Therefore I do not know the name of the poem.

This is where I hope you can help. All I know about the poem is that it is about a person's grave stone. It talks about the years, marked on the stone, and then (the main part of the poem) is about the dash in the middle and how it is significant only to the people who knew that person.

I was wondering if anyone knew what the poem was called and who it was by so I can find it and keep it. It means a fair bit to me and I wish I knew what it was.

Anyway I hope you can help. :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that the one which says how he was a good guy and he paid all tacks(watch bugs take history class) and never got into trouble,it asks whether the person was satisfied or not was not the responsibility of the govt??
I learned that at school.

poolwin2001 said:
Is that the one which says how he was a good guy and he paid all tacks(watch bugs take history class) and never got into trouble,it asks whether the person was satisfied or not was not the responsibility of the govt??
I learned that at school.

I don't remember that bit but if you could name that please then I could look it up and see if it is the one or not.

Thanks

The Bob (2004 ©)

This is just a shot in the dark, but your poem might be from Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters. That's a collection of poems about the people of some fictitious town, with a poem for each person-- and each poem is about their epitaphs.

hypnagogue said:
This is just a shot in the dark, but your poem might be from Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters. That's a collection of poems about the people of some fictitious town, with a poem for each person-- and each poem is about their epitaphs.

Thanks Hypnagogue but it isn't the one I am looking for. The poem I am after is not about anyone inparticular. It talks about the dash on the gravestone and how it means so much to a few people and that others just ignore it.

Thanks for the help again. Please keep trying because I don't know where to look.

The Bob (2004 ©)

If the poem you heard was in a humerous vein it may be
'Unknown Citizen' by 'Ogden Nash'

poolwin2001 said:
If the poem you heard was in a humerous vein it may be
'Unknown Citizen' by 'Ogden Nash'

No, it was serious, but I will look that one up anyway.

The Bob (2004 ©)

The Poem is all about the dash in between the years on the gravestone. he main thing the poem talks about is the dash.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Math Is Hard said:
http://www.lindaslyrics.com/The Dash Poem.html

The Dash
copyright 1996 by Linda Ellis

Is this it?

Maths, I love you. :biggrin: That is the exact poem I was looking for. :smile: You will not believe how pleased and relieved I am to have found it. I am in your debt. Ask of something and I will try my best to provide. :biggrin:

Thanks to everyone for looking for me and helping and thanks to Maths for actually finding it. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Aww, that's such a nice poem. :biggrin:

Andy
AMW Bonfire

amwbonfire said:
Aww, that's such a nice poem. :biggrin:

Andy
AMW Bonfire
I know. That is why I wanted it so bad and why it means so much to me.

The Bob (2004 ©)

I remembered that poem because several people have emailed it to me. It seems to have gotten into a kind of circulation on the internet.
It is a very nice poem, though.

Math Is Hard said:
I remembered that poem because several people have emailed it to me. It seems to have gotten into a kind of circulation on the internet.
It is a very nice poem, though.
Well thanks again. You will not believe how annoyed I was because I couldn't find it. A good 4 months has pasted and I get help in finding it. Thanks. :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Related to Help Find the Unknown Poem About a Grave Stone

1. What is the context of the unknown poem?

The unknown poem is about a grave stone, which suggests that it may be a poem about death, loss, or remembrance.

2. Why is it important to find this unknown poem?

Finding this unknown poem can provide valuable insights into the cultural and historical context in which it was written, as well as the author's perspective and style. It may also offer a glimpse into the life of the person buried at the grave stone.

3. How can the poem be identified?

The poem can be identified through various methods, such as analyzing the language and style of the writing, comparing it to other known poems from the same time period, and conducting research on the person buried at the grave stone.

4. Is there any significance to the grave stone itself?

The grave stone may hold significance in the context of the poem, as it may provide clues about the person buried there and their relationship with the author. It may also offer insight into the cultural and historical context of the poem.

5. Can the poem be found in any other sources?

It is possible that the poem may be found in other sources such as literary collections, historical archives, or personal writings of the author. However, without knowing the title or author of the poem, it may be challenging to locate it in other sources.