Finding "Stuff": Surfing for Unknowns with Element13

• Misc.
  • Thread starter Element13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unknowns
In summary, if someone doesn't know the name of an object, they can use Google Images to find an image of it and then look for specific keywords within the image.
Element13
TL;DR Summary
websites that are helpful to the DIY community and hobbyists.
How do you search for something if you don't know what its called?

Are there any websites that one can surf through and look for "stuff"?
I don't know how else to phrase the question but, for example; if the website sold electronic stuff it would have an Electronics menu button under which it would have a plethora of electronic "stuff", and the same would be true for other Menu Item Headings.

For years I've either created something that would work for the project I was working on or repurposed/reconfigured something that already existed, that was close enough to what I was looking for/needed; mostly because I didn't know if it existed or if it did what it would be called.

Back in the day, there were stores one could walk into and find all kinds of "stuff".
Not too long ago there was Radio Shack and Fry's Electronics. I loved Fry's, that place with the Flying Saucer and all the large ants and the aliens and stuff... Many, many years ago, so long ago in fact that I forget its actual name but I believe it was called "Diamonds". This place was a haven for hobbyist and DIY; a term that, to my knowledge, didn't exist back then.

There's this one shop in LA, they're like a surplus store for all kinds of mechanical and electronic gadgets, parts, hardware, stuff you look at and ask WTF is this; but if you knew what you where looking for you'd know what it was and if you didn't your mind would start wondering and creating all kinds of possibilities for it.

I don't know, maybe cause I'm older, but I simply enjoyed holding the thing in my hand and being able to compare it with other similar things. Yeah, yeah, I know, get over it… I'm just saying.Peace,
Element13

Physics news on Phys.org
Element13 said:
Are there any websites that one can surf through and look for "stuff"?
Yes. Google images.

Or take some good clear photos and post them here.

Likes Element13
Element13 said:
Summary: websites that are helpful to the DIY community and hobbyists.

How do you search for something if you don't know what its called?
I use Google Images a lot for ideas. I can start with fairly generic/nebulous search terms, and scroll through the images to start getting other search terms that help me refine my searches to get closer to what I want. Google Images speeds up that process for me a lot, versus the text Google searches.

Element13 said:
Not too long ago there was Radio Shack and Fry's Electronics. I loved Fry's, that place with the Flying Saucer and all the large ants and the aliens and stuff...
Yep, I'm in Silicon Valley, so I frequented Halted and Haltek and Frys and other great stores. Most are now closed, unfortunately. I do miss being able to stop by one of my local Frys Electronics stores to pick up some dangerous PCB chemicals and also grab a snack from the next aisle over... :wink:

Likes sophiecentaur and Element13
berkeman said:
I use Google Images a lot for ideas. I can start with fairly generic/nebulous search terms, and scroll through the images to start getting other search terms that help me refine my searches to get closer to what I want. Google Images speeds up that process for me a lot, versus the text Google searches.Yep, I'm in Silicon Valley, so I frequented Halted and Haltek and Frys and other great stores. Most are now closed, unfortunately. I do miss being able to stop by one of my local Frys Electronics stores to pick up some dangerous PCB chemicals and also grab a snack from the next aisle over... :wink:
berkeman,

Yep, I totally agree, those were the days.

Thank you for that insight, never thought about using Google's image search that way; I'm on a quest.
Again, I've learned something new today.

Peace,
Element13

Likes berkeman
Baluncore said:
Yes. Google images.

Or take some good clear photos and post them here.
Baluncore,

Thank you for chiming in.
If, and when, I'm holding something that I need a name for, I will most definitely do just that. I will also draw it and post that, if the need arises again; and I'm sure it will.

Peace,
Element13

1. What is "Finding "Stuff": Surfing for Unknowns with Element13?

"Finding "Stuff": Surfing for Unknowns with Element13" is a scientific research method that uses the element13 to search for unknown substances or compounds.

2. How does "Finding "Stuff": Surfing for Unknowns with Element13" work?

This method works by using the unique properties of element13 to identify and isolate unknown substances or compounds. The element13 acts as a tracer, allowing scientists to track and analyze the unknown material.

3. What makes "Finding "Stuff": Surfing for Unknowns with Element13" a useful tool for scientists?

"Finding "Stuff": Surfing for Unknowns with Element13" is useful because it allows scientists to identify and study substances or compounds that were previously unknown. This can lead to new discoveries and advancements in various fields of science.

4. What are some potential applications of "Finding "Stuff": Surfing for Unknowns with Element13"?

This method has potential applications in various fields such as medicine, environmental science, and materials science. It can be used to identify new drugs, pollutants, and materials with unique properties.

5. Are there any limitations to "Finding "Stuff": Surfing for Unknowns with Element13"?

Like any scientific method, "Finding "Stuff": Surfing for Unknowns with Element13" has its limitations. It may not be effective in identifying certain substances or compounds, and it requires specialized equipment and expertise to perform accurately.