Hello Fellow Travelers - Just another random human here.

• Thread starter Lunaril
  • Start date
In summary: Thank you for your detailed explanation. Unfortunately, personal theories and speculations are not allowed on this forum. This is according to a moderator, PeterDonis, who immediately sent me this reply when I asked a question about a theory I had proposed on the forum. Superfluid vacuum theory is a theory that I had proposed on the forum seeking clarification and education. It is not a personal theory. Sources must be from reputable scientific journals, as referenced in the rules below, and discussions of personal theories are not allowed. This is in line with the goal of Physics Forums, which is to provide scientific facts. Popular science articles, which are addressed to a broad readership, are not a good reference for this.
Lunaril
How did you find PF?: I was searching duckduckgo for Physics forums where I could reach out and talk to people who either have an interest or background in physics.

I'm a 43-year old woman living in rural America, with a B.S. in Clinical Psych, a permanent disability, 3 cats and my wife of 13 years. I've always had an interest in the sciences, enjoy learning, thinking, and expanding my understanding on a wide range of topics. I had a semi-eidetic memory prior to being disabled, and feel like I have to put more effort into that these days, but the enjoyment of learning something new, or correcting my current understanding of something, is worth the effort. I take a logicians approach to thinking, or at least that is my intention, and really only came to this forum for educated, informative discussions to further my understanding and horizons. Thank you for having a space like this and I look forward to learning something new.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you :) Unfortunately, I have been told I'm not allowed to ask questions related to Superfluid Vacuum Theory, I guess it is a banned subject according to a moderator. I am also not allowed to ask questions where I pose any kind of theory of my own understanding when seeking clarification or education. This is according to PeterDonis a moderator who immediately sent me this reply when I asked a question.

Unacceptable references or topics

Hi Lunaril,

In regards to your thread/post: https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/6862874/

To preserve the quality rating of Physics Forums, in some sub forums we require references to be from reputable sources such as credible scientific journals. Sources such as major news site, wikis or credible organizations will be evaluated on a case by case basis. Personal theories and personal speculations are not permitted.

We also ban certain topics from discussion. These topics can be found in our rules below:

Please view our forum rules guidelines for more information.

Thanks for your understanding and participation at Physics Forums!

Moderation Staff

Apparently this is a banned topic, which I find odd in itself, as it is a physics theory, posited on a physics forum, seeking an answer to a physics question, and because this was the immediate response I received when asking a question, I can only presume this probably isn't the right forum to come to if I have actual questions and want to gain understanding. Perhaps that oversight is mine, as I should have done more research on the forum before joining, in any case, I apologize for my posts and though I appreciate your welcome, it seems I and others like myself who have questions are not entirely welcome.

Lunaril said:
Thank you :) Unfortunately, I have been told I'm not allowed to ask questions related to Superfluid Vacuum Theory, I guess it is a banned subject according to a moderator. I am also not allowed to ask questions where I pose any kind of theory of my own understanding when seeking clarification or education. This is according to PeterDonis a moderator who immediately sent me this reply when I asked a question.

There are quite a few things that are to be addressed here.

It is not necessarily the topic, your opinion, or lack of knowledge that matters, it could well have been the source or the lack thereof. We are a scientific website and require serious scientific references in our technical forums. This means that "I have read" or even "I have read on sciencealert.com" are no acceptable references. And of course, this holds true even more for "personal" theories. If you have a question, then phrase it as that. If you confront us with what you have made up to make you understand something, then we close such threads. There are simply far too many people out there who think they know something without ever having studied the subject they theorize about. We cannot educate every single one of them. Our main goal is to provide scientific facts, and many of them can only be understood at the level of a qualified study.

This doesn't mean that we will not answer your questions, but they shouldn't be phrased as your personal understanding which is very likely (not even) wrong. Mark such threads as "B" and ask your question without setting up a context in which it cannot be answered due to many false assumptions. In the best case, you have found a serious reference on the internet and we can help you to understand it. Popular science articles, however, are normally not a good reference since they have to make far too many simplifications in order to address a broad readership.

I know, it is complicated. That's the prize we pay for being a website to help students and explain science as it is taught at universities to our best current knowledge.

Likes Doc Al, PeterDonis, Tom.G and 2 others

1. What is the purpose of "Hello Fellow Travelers - Just another random human here."?

The purpose of this phrase is to introduce oneself in a friendly and informal manner. It is often used as a greeting or conversation starter.

2. Why do people use this phrase when meeting new people?

People may use this phrase to establish a sense of camaraderie and common ground with others. It can also help break the ice and make the interaction more comfortable and relaxed.

3. Is there a specific meaning behind the phrase "Fellow Travelers"?

The phrase "Fellow Travelers" can have different meanings depending on the context. It could refer to people who are literally traveling together, or it could be used metaphorically to describe individuals who share similar experiences or beliefs.

4. Is it appropriate to use this phrase in a professional setting?

It depends on the context and the relationship between the individuals. In a formal or business setting, it may be more appropriate to use a more professional greeting. However, in a casual or friendly work environment, it could be acceptable to use this phrase.

5. Are there any cultural or regional differences in the usage of this phrase?

Yes, there may be cultural or regional differences in the usage of this phrase. In some cultures, it may be more common to use formal greetings, while in others, informal phrases like this may be more common. It is always best to be aware of cultural norms and adapt accordingly when using this phrase.