Heat engine/thermal efficiency question

In summary, the conversation was about finding the thermal efficiency of a heat engine using a gas with a gamma value of 1.25. The engine had an initial temperature of 300K and operated at 20 cycles per second. The equations used were Wout/Win and 1-Qc/QH. The problem was solved by correcting a miscalculation in one of the Q values, leading to the correct answer for the engine's thermal efficiency.
apaerie

Homework Statement

The figure shows the cycle for a heat engine that uses a gas having gamma =1.25. The initial temperature is T1=300K, and this engine operates at 20 cycles per second. What is the engine's thermal efficiency?

[URL]http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1074111/3/knight_Figure_19_54.jpg[/URL]

Homework Equations

[PLAIN]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/7/a/1/7a19ba3fdf776ed7bf92a998cb72996c.png=W[SUB]out[/SUB]/W[SUB]in[/SUB]

[PLAIN]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/7/a/1/7a19ba3fdf776ed7bf92a998cb72996c.png=1-Q[SUB]c[/SUB]/Q[SUB]H[/SUB]

The Attempt at a Solution

The first question had asked what was the power output of the engine and I managed to get the correct answer for that, so I'm very sure that my values for Q12, Q23, and Q31 are correct. Since Q23 was a positive value, I figured it was the work put in. I then used the power output that I had calculated and divided it by Q23, multiply by a hundred, which gave me 18% which turned out to be wrong.

I then tried the second equation and using the same value (Q23) for QH and adding the absolute values of Q12 and Q31 together to get Qc, divide Qc by QH, and subtracted the result from 1. It still turned out to be 18%, which I already knew was wrong.

So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

You're approach looks entirely correct. If this is being checked by submitting online, and you don't know what the "correct" answer is, then there might be some issue with significant figures, or rounding error -- in which case you got the right answer, but it isn't registering.

Can you post your calculations of W12, W23, and the three Q's?

EDIT: I have now worked out the problem, and it is quite different than 18%, so I suspect you calculated the Q's incorrectly. If you show your work, I could help find the error.

Last edited:
Redbelly98 said:
Welcome to Physics Forums.

You're approach looks entirely correct. If this is being checked by submitting online, and you don't know what the "correct" answer is, then there might be some issue with significant figures, or rounding error -- in which case you got the right answer, but it isn't registering.

Can you post your calculations of W12, W23, and the three Q's?

EDIT: I have now worked out the problem, and it is quite different than 18%, so I suspect you calculated the Q's incorrectly. If you show your work, I could help find the error.

I figured it out. You're right, I did miscalculate one of the Q's. At the beginning, I calculated QH (or Q23) to be 303J but I know now that was where I went wrong, so I managed to get the right answer now. Thanks for all your trouble :)

Related to Heat engine/thermal efficiency question

1. What is a heat engine?

A heat engine is a device that converts heat into mechanical energy, which can then be used to do work. It follows the principles of thermodynamics and operates by taking in heat from a high temperature source, converting some of it into mechanical energy, and releasing the remaining heat to a lower temperature sink.

2. How does a heat engine work?

A heat engine works by using the difference in temperature between a hot source and a cold sink to drive a cycle of processes. These processes typically involve a working fluid (such as steam or gas) being alternately heated and cooled to produce mechanical motion that can be harnessed to do work.

3. What is thermal efficiency?

Thermal efficiency is a measure of how effectively a heat engine converts heat into mechanical energy. It is defined as the ratio of the work output to the heat input. In other words, it is a measure of how much of the heat energy is converted into useful work.

4. How is thermal efficiency calculated?

Thermal efficiency can be calculated by dividing the work output by the heat input, and then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage. This calculation can be done for any type of heat engine, whether it is a steam engine, gas turbine, or internal combustion engine.

5. What factors affect the thermal efficiency of a heat engine?

The thermal efficiency of a heat engine is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs, the type of working fluid used, and the design and efficiency of the engine components. In general, a higher temperature difference and more efficient components result in a higher thermal efficiency.