Mastering Physics: Heat Engine Problem

In summary, the figure shows a heat engine that uses a gas with gamma=1.25 and operates at 20 cycles per second. The initial temperature is T1=300K. Using the ideal gas law and the first law of thermodynamics, the power output can be calculated as 3.746 kW. To find the thermal efficiency, the relation between C_p and C_v can be used to determine the values of both. The net work for the cycle can also be calculated by considering the changes in internal energy.
ricebowl07
The figure shows the cycle for a heat engine that uses a gas having gamma =1.25. The initial temperature is T1=300K, and this engine operates at 20 cycles per second.

a.) What is the power output of the engine?

b.) What is the engine's thermal efficiency?

The link to this image is here:
http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1074111/4/knight_Figure_19_54.jpg

This is how I attempted to solve this problem:

Given: T1 = T2 = 300K
P2 = P3
P1 = 1 atm = 1.013 * 10^(5) Pa
gamma = 1.25
V1 = V3 = 600 cm^(3)
V2 = 200 cm^(3)
R = 8.31 J/mol*K or 0.08206 atm *L/mol*K

Relevant equations:

PV = nRT

η = Wout/QH

Power = Wnet/time

Q_12 = W_12

Q_23 = nc_pΔT

Q_31 = nc_vΔTFinding number of moles

n = PV/RT

n = [1.013 * 10^(5) Pa(0.0006 m^(3))]/[(8.31J/(mol*K))(300K)]= 0.024 mol

Finding P2 and P3

P1V1 = P2V2

P2 = [P1V1]/V2 = [1atm(0.6L)]/0.2L

P2 = 3atm

P2 = P3

Finding T3

P3V3 = nRT3

T3 = P3V3/nR = 900K

Finding W_12

W_12 = nRT(ln(vf/vi)) = 0.024mol(8.31J/mol*K) (300K)(ln(0.0006m^(3)/0.0002m^(3))) = 65.73 J

Finding W_23

W_23 = P(vf-vi) = 3atm[(0.0006 - 0.0002)m^(3)] * 101325J = 121.59 J

W_31 = 0 because it is an isochoric process

Wnet = 187.32J

Power

P = Wnet/time = 187.32J(20(s^(-1))) = 3746.4 W = 3.746 kW

I got it wrong. Why was gamma given? I thought it was only used for adiabatic processes. I also don't know which c_p and c_v to use since the type of gas is not given.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello ricebowl07 and welcome to PF!

Did you consider the sign of the work for the isothermal part? (In other words, what is Vi and what is Vf for that part?)

Also, you might want to keep one more significant figure in your calculation of the number of moles.

[You should be able to find Cv amd Cp from gamma.]

Last edited:
Thank you! I finally got the right answer.

Hello, I have worked my way through this problem, except with a different value (16 cycles per second vs 20) and I am having trouble finding my thermal efficiency. You said find if from gamma=1.25, and I know that gamma=C_p/C_v, but I'm not sure where to go from there.

Hello, cluke95. Welcome to PF!

There is a simple relation between CP and CV for any ideal gas. It has the form: CP = CV + _ ? _ .

You can combine this equation with the equation γ = CP/CV to determine the values of CP and CV. Then you can calculate the heat QH to determine the efficiency.

My take:
You don't need either C_p or C_V.
(a): what is net work on a p-V diagram?
(b): use the 1st law and the ideal gas law.
Hint: what is ΔU for a complete cycle?

Related to Mastering Physics: Heat Engine Problem

1. What is a heat engine problem in the context of physics?

A heat engine problem refers to a type of physics problem that involves the transfer of heat energy and its conversion into mechanical work. This type of problem typically involves calculating the efficiency or performance of a heat engine, which is a device that converts heat energy into mechanical work.

2. How do you approach solving a heat engine problem?

The first step in solving a heat engine problem is to understand the principles of thermodynamics, specifically the laws of thermodynamics. Next, you must identify the given information and the unknown variables in the problem. Then, you can apply the appropriate equations and principles to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What are the key factors that affect the efficiency of a heat engine?

The efficiency of a heat engine is affected by several factors, including the temperature of the heat source and the heat sink, the type of working fluid used, and the design and efficiency of the engine itself. The Carnot cycle, which describes the theoretical maximum efficiency of a heat engine, also takes into account the temperature difference between the heat source and sink.

4. How does a real heat engine differ from the theoretical Carnot cycle?

A real heat engine differs from the theoretical Carnot cycle in several ways. First, real engines have internal friction and other losses that decrease their efficiency. Additionally, real engines do not operate in a fully reversible manner like the Carnot cycle, which assumes no friction or energy losses. Real engines also have practical limitations, such as the maximum temperature they can reach and the type of working fluid they can use.

5. What are some real-world applications of heat engine problems?

Heat engine problems have many real-world applications, including in the design and optimization of engines for cars, airplanes, and power plants. They are also important in understanding the efficiency and performance of refrigeration and air conditioning systems. In addition, heat engine problems are relevant in the study of alternative energy sources, such as solar and geothermal power, which use heat energy to generate electricity.