What is the Thermal Efficiency of an Engine?

In summary: So, as mentioned in the previous comments, in order to solve for option "e" you will need to use the relevant equations and substitute in the given values. Can you think of which equations you will need to use and how you might go about substituting the values? It also might be helpful to label the points on the graph with the corresponding letters A, B, and C to make it easier to refer to them in your work.In summary, to solve for option "e", you will need to use the relevant equations and substitute in the given values. It might be helpful to label the points on the graph with the corresponding letters A, B, and C
yecko
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/SQ6jx94.png
SQ6jx94.png

(sorry for the low resolution~ it's already the best i can make it~)

Homework Equations

U=Q+W
the three variables of isobaric, isochoric, adiabatic process (can i save my effort from typing all of them out?)
e=(Qh-Qc)/Qh

The Attempt at a Solution

Substitute the relevant equations in order to get Qc & Qh
it always seems a lack of information to the three points
there should be a specific route for substituting the variables to the cycle and the few thought by me should be wrong
can anyone tell me the right way to get option "e" here?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Show your working.

yecko said:
it always seems a lack of information to the three points

I haven't attempted a solution but usually these come from the data provided on the graph combined with your knowledge about what is constant during an isobaric, isochoric, or adiabatic process.

CWatters said:
what is constant during an isobaric, isochoric, or adiabatic process.
isobaric=>p constant
isochoric=>v constant
adiabatic=>q constant

So of P, V, and T which are you missing at each of the three points and how might you work them out from the info provided?

yecko said:
isobaric=>p constant
isochoric=>v constant
adiabatic=>q constant
You must attempt the question yourself. Get as far as you can and then post that attempt here so that the homework helpers can see where your misunderstanding comes in.

Related to What is the Thermal Efficiency of an Engine?

What is thermal efficiency of an engine?

Thermal efficiency of an engine is the measure of how well an engine converts heat energy into mechanical work. It is expressed as a percentage and is calculated by dividing the amount of heat energy that is converted into work by the total amount of heat energy that is supplied to the engine.

Why is thermal efficiency important?

Thermal efficiency is important because it indicates the performance of an engine. A high thermal efficiency means that the engine is converting a large portion of the heat energy into work, which results in better fuel efficiency and reduced emissions.

What factors affect the thermal efficiency of an engine?

The thermal efficiency of an engine is affected by several factors, including the type of fuel, compression ratio, and design of the engine. Other factors such as ambient temperature, engine speed, and maintenance also play a role in determining the thermal efficiency.

How can the thermal efficiency of an engine be improved?

The thermal efficiency of an engine can be improved by using higher quality fuel, increasing the compression ratio, and optimizing the design of the engine. Proper maintenance and regular tune-ups can also help improve the thermal efficiency.

What is the typical thermal efficiency of an engine?

The typical thermal efficiency of an engine varies depending on the type and design of the engine. For gasoline engines, the thermal efficiency can range from 20-30%, while diesel engines can have a thermal efficiency of 40-45%. However, advanced engines, such as hybrid or electric engines, can have a thermal efficiency of up to 60%.