Heat and increasing a rod's length

In summary: Instead, use the equation for change in length, ΔL=βL0ΔT, to solve for ΔT. Then, use the given heat capacity and the mass of the rod to solve for the required heat energy, Q=mCΔT. In summary, to increase the length of a 1.0m long rod of metal with a diameter of 0.75 cm by 7.5 × 10−3 m, you would need to add a certain amount of heat energy, which can be calculated by determining the necessary temperature increase and using the given heat capacity and mass of
Lisa Marie

Homework Statement

A 1.0m long rod of metal has a diameter of 0.75 cm. This metal has a coefficient of linear expansion α = 4.8 × 10−5 1/K , a density of 9.7 × 103 kg/ m3 , and a heat capacity of 390 J/K . How much energy needs to be added as heat to increase the length of the rod by 7.5 × 10−3 m?

Homework Equations

V0=πr2h
ΔV=βV0ΔT
m=vρ

The Attempt at a Solution

V0=πr2]h
=π(0.0075/2)2(1)
=4.42×10-5

V0=πr2h
=π(7.5×10-3+1)(0.0075/2)2
=4.45×10-5

ΔV=βV0ΔT
ΔT=ΔV/(3αV0)
=(4.45×10-5-4.42×10-5)/(3(4.42×10-5))

m=vρ where do I go from here? Because the the mass would always be changing

Physics news on Phys.org
The mass is fixed. Probably the density will change.

NascentOxygen said:
The mass is fixed. Probably the density will change.

So you would do M=∫ρdV to find the mass?

You know the rod's dimensions and its density, so can determine mass. This mass doesn't change when you apply heat to expand it.

I'm wondering why you involve ΔV when all that is required is ΔL? I could be wrong, but it seems that you are making the problem more difficult than is intended.

NascentOxygen said:
You know the rod's dimensions and its density, so can determine mass. This doesn't change when you apply heat to expand it.

I'm wondering why you involve ΔV when all that is required is ΔL? I could be wrong, but it seems that you are making the problem more difficult than is intended.

Ok thanks! I'll try it with just change in length but doesn't the volume change since the length is changing?

Lisa Marie said:
Ok thanks! I'll try it with just change in length but doesn't the volume change since the length is changing?
Certainly volume will change when length and diameter change. But the problem specs centre on the change in length.

NascentOxygen said:
Certainly volume will change when length and diameter change. But the problem specs centre on the change in length.
So I should use this volume:
V0=πr2h
=π(0.0075/2)2(1)
=4.42×10-5
...because I'm not getting the right answer

You are attacking the problem backwards. How much of a temperature increase do you need to increase the length by the desired amount? What is the mass of the rod?

Chet

Related to Heat and increasing a rod's length

What is heat?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one object to another due to a difference in temperature.

How does heat affect a rod's length?

When a rod is heated, the molecules within the rod gain kinetic energy and start to vibrate more, causing the rod to expand in length.

How much does a rod's length increase with heat?

The amount of length increase in a rod due to heat depends on the material and dimensions of the rod, as well as the amount of heat applied. Generally, a rod can expand by a few millimeters for every meter in length when heated.

What happens when a rod is heated and then cooled?

When a rod is heated and then cooled, it undergoes thermal expansion and contraction. This can cause the rod to change in length and potentially lead to warping or breaking if the temperature change is too extreme.

Can a rod's length be controlled with heat?

Yes, a rod's length can be controlled with heat by using materials with different coefficients of thermal expansion, or by using heating and cooling methods to manipulate the temperature of the rod. This is often used in manufacturing processes to create precise and accurate measurements.