Having trouble with relative motion

In summary, the problem asks for the direction in which a torpedo should be fired from a submarine in order to hit a battleship that is steaming east at 24 km/h and is 4.0 km away. The battleship is seen at an angle of 20º east of north. Using the x and y motion equations, it can be determined that the torpedo should be aimed 46.8º east of north in order to hit the battleship. This can also be solved geometrically by drawing the vectors and solving for the correct angle.
Libohove90

Homework Statement

A battleship steams due east at 24 km/h. A submarine 4.0 km away fires a torpedo that has a speed of 50 km/h. If the ship is seen 20º east of north, in what direction should the torpedo be fired to hit the ship?

Homework Equations

x motion of ship: x = vt

x motion of torpedo: x' - x[itex]_{}0[/itex]' = v[itex]_{}x[/itex]'t

y motion of torpedo: y - y[itex]_{}0[/itex] = v[itex]_{}y[/itex]t

The Attempt at a Solution

The torpedo will hit the ship when its at y = 0, thus solve for t in the y motion equation of the torpedo.

0 - y[itex]_{}0[/itex] = v[itex]_{}y[/itex]t

Then x = x'

In which you get x[itex]_{}0[/itex] + v[itex]_{}x[/itex] (-y[itex]_{}0[/itex] / v[itex]_{}y[/itex]) = x[itex]_{}0[/itex]' + v[itex]_{}x[/itex]' (-y[itex]_{}0[/itex] / v[itex]_{}y[/itex])

Do some algebra and you get x[itex]_{}0[/itex] - x[itex]_{}0[/itex]' = (v[itex]_{}x[/itex]' - v[itex]_{}x[/itex]) / v[itex]_{}y[/itex]

But I can't solve for [itex]\Theta[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is 46.8º east of north...can someone help me how to handle this problem?

Hint: You must aim the torpedo ahead of the battleship in order for it to arrive where the battleship will be after the torpedo has made its run. You know the speeds of the battleship and the torpedo, as well as the relative bearing of the target from the sub at the moment of firing. You'll have to solve a related rate problem in order to obtain the complete firing solution.

Consider the battleship as the reference substance

azureth said:
Consider the battleship as the reference substance

So that means that the submarine is moving westward at 24 km/h and when the hypotenuse is 4 km, the torpedo is fired.

That means we use x^2 + y^2 = c^2.

d/dt (x^2 + y^2) = d/dt (c^2) which gives us 2x dx/dt + 2y dy/dt = 2c dc/dt...and since there is no change in y, the equation reduces to 2x dx/dt = 2c dc/dt.

x = 4 cos 70º
dx/dt = 24 km/h
I am not sure what c and dc/dt stand for...I am not sure what to solve. Sorry, I haven't done a related rate problem n a while.

I do not know how to solve this problem by using calculus.In fact you can draw the vectors and solve it geometrically.(I cannot post a picture for you now.If you still cannot work it out,I will reply to you a few days later)

SteamKing said:
Hint: You must aim the torpedo ahead of the battleship in order for it to arrive where the battleship will be after the torpedo has made its run. You know the speeds of the battleship and the torpedo, as well as the relative bearing of the target from the sub at the moment of firing. You'll have to solve a related rate problem in order to obtain the complete firing solution.

I tried the related-rate way a few posts above but I am not sure if I am doing it right.

Related to Having trouble with relative motion

1. What is relative motion?

Relative motion refers to the movement of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the perspective of the observer and the frame of reference used to describe the motion.

2. Why is relative motion important?

Relative motion is important because it helps us understand how objects move in relation to each other. It is crucial in fields such as physics and engineering, where precise measurements and calculations of motion are necessary.

3. What factors affect relative motion?

There are several factors that can affect relative motion, such as the speed and direction of the objects, the distance between them, and the forces acting upon them. The type of motion (linear, circular, etc.) also plays a role.

4. How can I calculate relative motion?

To calculate relative motion, you need to know the velocity and direction of both objects, as well as the frame of reference. You can use equations such as the velocity addition formula and the law of cosines to determine the relative motion between two objects.

5. What are some real-world examples of relative motion?

One example of relative motion is when you are riding in a car and looking out the window. From your perspective, the objects outside are moving past you. However, from the perspective of someone standing on the side of the road, you and the car are the ones in motion. Another example is the motion of planets in relation to each other as they orbit around the sun.