Having a hard time remembering what this equation is

In summary: It is not equal to ##dx(t)^2##. The notation means, "take the derivative of ##dx(t)/dt## with respect to ##t##".
LT72884
Ok, so it has been about 4 years since i have had physics for scientists and engineers. I am a full time mechanical and areospace student. I just started dynamics class and right off the bat, i ran into an equation that i am not sure how to infer. It is from our rectilinear example:

d^2x/dt^2 = a

ok, so i know "a" is acceleration but on the LHS, i can't tell if it is telling me it is a second deriv with repsect to x or if it is distance squared multiplied by x? there is no explanation in the text.

Physics news on Phys.org
It should be the second derivative of x with respect to time.

Ok, that helps alot. Then the bottom is the deriv with respect to time squared?? man i forget all this stuff after 4 years

sometimes fonts in books or online, i can't tell what they are trying to tell me haha. ok. would you guys be willing to help me with an EXAMPLE problem. Bare in mind i have never had dynamics and not entirely sure what to think of it yet:)

I will list the example.
During a test, a rocket is traveling at 75m/s. When it reaches 40m, the engine fails. determine the max height Sb and the final speed of the rocket just before it hits the ground. Assume constant downward a and no air resistance.

I have no idea where to go with this problem. i don't even know where to start..well maybe i do. it has motion so it must involve one fo the BIG 3? but that's all i would know where to begin.

thanks a ton guys

LT72884 said:
Ok, that helps alot. Then the bottom is the deriv with respect to time squared?? man i forget all this stuff after 4 years

sometimes fonts in books or online, i can't tell what they are trying to tell me haha. ok. would you guys be willing to help me with an EXAMPLE problem. Bare in mind i have never had dynamics and not entirely sure what to think of it yet:)

I will list the example.
During a test, a rocket is traveling at 75m/s. When it reaches 40m, the engine fails. determine the max height Sb and the final speed of the rocket just before it hits the ground. Assume constant downward a and no air resistance.

I have no idea where to go with this problem. i don't even know where to start..well maybe i do. it has motion so it must involve one fo the BIG 3? but that's all i would know where to begin.

thanks a ton guys
To get help with schoolwork questions, you need to post in the Homework Help forums, and fill out the Template that you are provided there when you start a new thread. That Template includes sections for the Relevant Equations, and for your Attempt at a Solution. Just saying "I have no idea" is not allowed here.

Having said that, it still doesn't sound like you understand these basics:
[tex]v(t) = \frac{dx(t)}{dt}[/tex]
[tex]a(t) = \frac{d^2x(t)}{dt^2}[/tex]
The first equation says that the velocity of a particle is equal to the first derivative of the position as a function of time.

The second equation says that the acceleration of a particle is equal to the second derivative of the position as a function of time. There are no terms "squared" in the equation. The "2" that you see in the numerator and denominator of that equation mean to use the second derivative. (That means to differentiate twice in a row).

This thread is closed. Please do a bit more studying, and post your example problem in the Homework Help forums. Thanks.

LT72884 said:
d^2x/dt^2 = a

ok, so i know "a" is acceleration but on the LHS, i can't tell if it is telling me it is a second deriv with repsect to x or if it is distance squared multiplied by x?

berkeman said:
$$a(t) = \frac{d^2x(t)}{dt^2}$$The second equation says that the acceleration of a particle is equal to the second derivative of the position as a function of time.
To expand on what @berkeman said, this -- ##\frac{d^2x(t)}{dt^2}## -- is notation that means ##\frac d{dt}\left(\frac{dx(t)}{dt}\right)##. It is a notational convenience more than anything else that we write this second derivative as ##\frac{d^2x(t)}{dt^2}##.

Likes berkeman

Related to Having a hard time remembering what this equation is

1. What causes difficulty in remembering equations?

Difficulty in remembering equations can be caused by a variety of factors such as lack of practice, stress, fatigue, or distractions.

2. How can I improve my memory for equations?

To improve your memory for equations, you can try techniques such as repetition, visualization, chunking, or creating mnemonic devices.

3. Are certain types of equations harder to remember than others?

Yes, some equations may be more difficult to remember due to their complexity or the amount of information they contain. It may also depend on an individual's familiarity and understanding of the equation.

4. Is forgetting equations a sign of a larger memory problem?

Not necessarily. Forgetting equations can be a common occurrence and does not necessarily indicate a larger memory problem. However, if it becomes a persistent issue and affects daily functioning, it may be worth seeking a professional evaluation.

5. How can I prevent forgetting equations in the future?

To prevent forgetting equations in the future, it is important to practice regularly and to review the equations periodically. Additionally, maintaining a healthy lifestyle and managing stress levels can also aid in improving memory and retention of information.