Haven't been taught integration by parts yet

In summary, if one wants to find g'(x) in an equation involving integration by parts, they need to apply the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus first.
kamranonline
http://usera.ImageCave.com/kamranonline/369529f005b9d646328ba8de471139.gif

Attempt to the solution. I took u=[tex]\sqrt{t}[/tex] and from there i went upto :

2[tex]\int[/tex]u[tex]^2[/tex]Sin(u^{2})dx

dunno wat to do next. Havn't been taught integration by parts yet.

Physics news on Phys.org

kamranonline said:

Attempt to the solution. I took u=[tex]\sqrt{t}[/tex] and from there i went upto :

2[tex]\int[/tex]u[tex]^2[/tex]Sin(u^{2})d

What is the question? Are you sure it isn't to find g'(x)?

yes it is.. sorry my bad. :P

then we have to expand the integral and and simply write the inner function by replacing t with x rite?

(i spend much time figuring out the integral, but in vain.. :P)

kamranonline said:

Your substitution is not right. If u = [itex]\sqrt{t}[/itex], then du = dt/(2[itex]\sqrt{t}[/itex])
dx shouldn't even be in the integral.

kamranonline said:

If you are interested to find g'(x), then you don't even need to do any integration at all. All, you need to do is apply 1st part of the FUndamental THeorem of Calculus. What does it say?

First manipulate your integral a little bit, like:

[tex]g(x)=-\int_{c}^{\sqrt{x}}\sqrt{t}sin(t)dt+\int_{c}^{x^2}\sqrt{t}sin(t)dt[/tex]

where c is some constant.

Now you need to directly apply FTC and the chain rule along with it and you are pretty much done.

Mark44 said:
Your substitution is not right. If u = [itex]\sqrt{t}[/itex], then du = dt/(2[itex]\sqrt{t}[/itex])
dx shouldn't even be in the integral.
Apart from the dx (which I corrected in the quotation in my response), the substitution, ignoring the limits, is right. But as Sutupidmath has correctly followed up, this is a futile approach if one wants to find g'(x) anyway!

Unco said:
Apart from the dx (which I corrected in the quotation in my response), the substitution, ignoring the limits, is right. But as Sutupidmath has correctly followed up, this is a futile approach if one wants to find g'(x) anyway!

My mistake.

If you need to find g'(x) then remember this

[tex] f(x) = \int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)} \zeta(t) dt \Rightarrow f'(x) = \zeta(\beta(x)) \cdot \beta'(x) - \zeta(\alpha(x)) \cdot \alpha'(x) [/tex]

Hope that helps.

Thanks alot. I got it now ! :) A very useful rule!

Related to Haven't been taught integration by parts yet

1. What is integration by parts and why is it important?

Integration by parts is a method used in calculus to solve integrals that involve products of functions. It is important because it allows us to find the antiderivative of a product of two functions, which is essential in many areas of science and engineering.

2. When should I learn integration by parts?

Integration by parts is typically taught in a calculus or advanced calculus course, so it depends on when you take these classes. It is usually introduced after the fundamental theorem of calculus and basic integration techniques have been covered.

3. How do I use integration by parts?

To use integration by parts, you must identify the two functions in the integral that can be split into a product. Then, you use the integration by parts formula to find the antiderivative. This process involves choosing which function to differentiate and which to integrate, and then repeating the process until the integral can be solved.

4. Do I need to memorize the integration by parts formula?

While it is always helpful to have formulas memorized, it is not necessary to memorize the integration by parts formula. It can easily be derived from the product rule of differentiation, so it is more important to understand the reasoning behind the formula and how to apply it.

5. What are some common mistakes when using integration by parts?

One common mistake when using integration by parts is not choosing the correct functions to differentiate and integrate. It is also important to pay attention to any constants or coefficients that may need to be included in the final answer. Another mistake is forgetting to apply the chain rule when necessary. Practice and double-checking your work can help avoid these mistakes.