Have a problem? read this first

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, congratulations to Greg Bernhardt on the launch of his new forum. There are a few issues that need to be addressed but overall it is a success.
Turned it off and couldn't turn it back on?

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Turned it off and couldn't turn it back on?
Hey there, Evo. Seeing that your post starts a new page. EDIT: Well, it did a moment ago...
Did you see Jimmy's post?:
Jimmy said:
Goto My PF > Preferences and check "Restore dismissed featured threads".

Is it broken (or worse) ...?

Likes Evo
Oh,
TumblingDice said:
Hey there, Evo. Seeing that your post starts a new page.
Oh, I need an "I love tumbling dice" thingy. Maybe we make it a new trophy,

I'm loving the growing green goop on jimmy's avatar too.

Likes Jimmy
Thanks! I've probably switched avatars a dozen times in the last few days. I think I'll keep this one for a while. :)

@TumblingDice
Were you able to restore the featured threads?

Jimmy said:
@TumblingDice
Were you able to restore the featured threads?
Ha-ha I just did! Never doubted ya', pal. Enjoying the rush of catching up to all of these wonderful Alerts!

Ah, I thought it might be broken.

I'm finding these alerts pretty convenient.

Jimmy said:
It's driving me crazy!

Here is my number, call me maybe.

Signed: Psychiatrist.

I get email notifications when someone replies to a thread I posted despite I deactivated this option in my PF.

DrDu said:
I get email notifications when someone replies to a thread I posted despite I deactivated this option in my PF.

Try to Unwatch the threads you watched before changing the notification settings and then watch them again.

In PF3 there was an option to see only recent threads without any replies. Is it possible to have it in PF4 too?

One needs to hover over a thread to see if it contains more than 1 page. I'd prefer if it was visible without having to hover over. Am I the only one?

Shyan said:
In PF3 there was an option to see only recent threads without any replies. Is it possible to have it in PF4 too?
Not yet. For now the threads with no replies are highlighted

Another question for Greg. If I go to the FORUMS - New Posts link, view one of the threads, hit the back button and refresh the page, the thread is not bolded to inidicate that I've seen the thread. But, if I later select the FORUMS - New Posts link again, the thread disappears from the list completely. Is there a way to turn off the disappearance? It makes it difficult to find a thread that I just looked at if I can't see everything - regardless of the quantum state that I put them in by looking at them. oo)

Experimenting with "conversations" , thought it was similar to old pm's. but it's more public.

any way to delete one that's not replied to ?

old jim

@jim hardy Yes, you have to select "Leave conversation"

Yes, you have to select "Leave conversation"

Evo said:
Yes, you have to select "Leave conversation"

Thanks ! so done. .

old jim

What's the time frame for editing a post for non-mentor members?

Drakkith said:
What's the time frame for editing a post for non-mentor members?
Right now it's 3 hours

I'm sorry I couldn't look through the all pages, but I have a few questions.

How do I contribute once again when the current one is expired? I couldn't see any options regarding it.

Will the chat be added again some time soon?

And, please give back the old Google search function! It was really really helpful.

Nugso said:
How do I contribute once again when the current one is expired?
I have yet to set this up. I'll make an announcement when I do

Nugso said:
Will the chat be added again some time soon?
Chat will be added this Sunday

Nugso said:
And, please give back the old Google search function! It was really really helpful.
Have you tried searching now? We are using a product called Elastic Search. It's much better than the old engine.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I have yet to set this up. I'll make an announcement when I do

Waiting for it!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Chat will be added this Sunday

TumblingDice said:
Yep, this Sunday Oct. 5. See all details here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/pf-chat-is-back.773699/

Thanks.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Have you tried searching now? We are using a product called Elastic Search. It's much better than the old engine.

I wish I had tried right before posting. It was kind of 'disordered' a few days ago. Also, don't know if the old version was the same, but the quote thingy is really awesome.

If I hoover by chance over "My PF", "Inbox", etc, a drop down menu opens, but I have to click somewhere into the task line for it to close. Is it possible to change this behavior, so that the menus auto-close when they are no longer in the focus? (Maybe this is only a browser setting. I use Firefox).

DrDu said:
(Maybe this is only a browser setting. I use Firefox).

No, it works the same way in (at least some) other browsers.

Agreed it would be great to change this behavior @Greg Bernhardt

DrDu said:
If I hoover by chance over "My PF", "Inbox", etc, a drop down menu opens, but I have to click somewhere into the task line for it to close.
This is so you don't inadvertently close the drop down. The drop downs have a lot of content around the edges and it would be frustrating and twitchy if it closed every time your mouse accidentally hit the edge.

Greg Bernhardt said:
it would be frustrating and twitchy if it closed every time your mouse accidentally hit the edge

Apparently it is one of those things that are wrong both ways ;)

Likes Greg Bernhardt
My problem might be "Homeritis". As in, "DOH!"

Since PF4 launched, I've been missing that little green radio button that indicated a member was online (or hadn't timed out...). Although the most excellent hover-over popup on the new forum includes a "TumblingDice was last seen headed to the bathroom 9 minutes ago" tip, it doesn't give me the same warm, fuzzy feeling that the green radio button proffered.

So then, it seems like only the past few days I've noticed a little green "dog ear" in the top right corner of my avatar. I've been wondering what it was. Did I win a prize? :) Did I make Evo's holiday card list? :)) Was I supposed to worry if it might turn amber or red? oo)

Yeah... Sad, isn't it? o:) (splat!)

EDIT: Oh look! Borek is right above this message with a green dog ear! (I wonder if he's getting a card?)

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
I didn't notice the green dog-ear until last weekend when I replaced my old avatar with a higher-definition version. My first reaction was, "Hey, where did that green come from? It wasn't in the JPEG."

Likes Borg and Greg Bernhardt
jtbell said:
I didn't notice the green dog-ear until last weekend when I replaced my old avatar with a higher-definition version. My first reaction was, "Hey, where did that green come from? It wasn't in the JPEG."
I'm waiting for someone to incorporate it into their avatar so that thay always look like they're online. :w

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Green goes outside of the avatar.

Untitled-1.png

Borek said:
Green goes outside of the avatar.
Well, if you're going to use a microscope...

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Borg said:
I'm waiting for someone to incorporate it into their avatar so that thay always look like they're online. :w

Actually, I was thinking of changing the background color on mine so it matches the dog-ear. :p

Likes Greg Bernhardt
jtbell said:
Actually, I was thinking of changing the background color on mine so it matches the dog-ear. :p
Hiding in plain site. ;)

With the hope that you won't consider me a necroposter, instead of creating a new thread ...

I've been getting this Firefox "blocking message": Firefox has prevented the outdated plugin "Adobe Flash" from running on www.physicsforums.com.