Have a problem? read this first

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, congratulations to Greg Bernhardt on the launch of his new forum. There are a few issues that need to be addressed but overall it is a success.
The forums are at a place I feel I can get some sleep. I've been working on this for the past 12 hours :)

There is a lot left to do. I have dozens of things on my list yet. So if you have a problem or see something not quite right, let me know, but know I likely have it on my list and will get to it when get up. Lots of features are missing, I know.

One real problem I see is that LaTeX is taking an extremely long time to load. I will be talking with the developer on this. It could be the SSL slowing it down.

Anyway, enjoy and know that there is a lot left to do and you won't see the final product for a couple days. It has been an enormous amount of configurations and troubleshooting so far :)

Likes gracy, DataGG, ZetaOfThree and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations, Greg! Nice job on the first swing. Having trouble entering a reply under Opera Classic on my droid tablet. Press one key and things take a life of their own, repeating the character, ignoring the keyboard for a while, ... Using default droid browser now without problems. Will test more later today. Get some rest!

EDIT: (Edit works O.K.!) :cool:

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
The android app doesn't seem to be working for me. "Failed to connect to the forum... Please contact the admin if the problem persists"

Other than that, at first glance, everything seems fine!

Oh, also the search function. I've already started missing old google search function!

And the PF Gold thingy appears to be gone?

Edit: It's PF Contributor now.

Thanks Greg and congrats to all members and staff.
I wanted to find one of my threads but when I click "Find all threads by shyan", I receive "No results found"!
Also in the list of my posts, only the ones I posted before Jun 6, 2013 are listed and there is a gap till my posts posted today after the update.

Likes td21 and Greg Bernhardt
Nugso said:
The android app doesn't seem to be working for me

The apps will be worked on tomorrow

Nugso said:
And the PF Gold thingy appears to be gone?

You can have a star icon for now

Nugso said:
Oh, also the search function

We're using elastic search. I just need to configure it a bit

The forum seems to be a bit slow (opening new forums, refreshing, etc).. It could be be the SSL.

Also, in "Science education", if you click in the "latest thread", you'll get an error most of the time. Not sure if you're aware of that.

DataGG said:
The forum seems to be a bit slow

I am seeing the server struggle a bit too. That will take time to configure.

DataGG said:
Also, in "Science education", if you click in the "latest thread"

That will be resolved once someone posts in there

Likes DataGG
I just wanted to edit my first reply and got a message that the time limit for editing (3 min) has expired. I consider 3 minutes way to short (3 h would be acceptable).

Likes gracy and Borg
I rebooted droid tablet and tried entering a msg with Opera Classic again. No dice. :p Greg, this might be a problem with LaTex or other realtime parsing support. I've had negative experiences with Opera since you moved LaTex to the client side, and just persevered. If you didn't receive problem reports on this so far, I could be the black sheep.

It's 4AM in SoCal - going to jump in the shower and then start browsing on my desktop. I'd like to explore as much as I can before our Wolverines take the field at the Bighouse. (3:15 EDT to catch the flyover!)

DrDu said:
I just wanted to edit my first reply and got a message that the time limit for editing (3 min) has expired. I consider 3 minutes way to short (3 h would be acceptable).

wow. 3min is definitely way too short! 3h would still be short for me. Sometimes I want to edit a question with new info several hours after posting (for example, I got new info so I want to add said info to the main post. I know I could just reply, but if the thread is long, some people don't want to read several posts just to find the new info.. I know I wouldn't.)

Don't worry, the courtesy time will be changed. Last time I checked it was about 7 hours and we will get back to this value (or something similar). 3 minutes is most likely just a XenForo default.

Love the ability to see the robots on the Members -> Current Visitors page. :)

Paging is missing from the Members -> Notable Members page. :(

Congrats, Greg! I did not believe to my eyes when I saw PF resurrected like a phoenix so soon...

ehild

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Am I missing something or is it no longer possible to edit your posts? Still on Greg's list I guess?

Another one that's probably on Greg's list - all of the embedded YouTube links are broken because of the new media tag. Will those get updated?

Trophy points are interesting but some have vague descriptions. For example, the "Established Member" trophy's description is just "Thanks for being a member for so long!". How long is so long? What determines "Love seeing you around so much!" for the "The regular" trophy?

I generally dislike massive changes on a website but this is growing on me pretty quickly. Great job, Greg. :)

Borg said:
Am I missing something or is it no longer possible to edit your posts? Still on Greg's list I guess

See 4th post above.

Borek said:
See 4th post above.
Do you mean Dr. Du's post #8? It makes sense now because I was able to edit a General Discussion post but not the one in here that was over 3 minutes old.

@Greg Bernhardt : I'm compiling a list of the 'little stuff' I find in Notepad today and will post for you at the end of today. Doing this to provide you with as much as possible in one place, hopefully after you're refreshed and ready to play, "Round #2!"

The new look is great, but I can't seem to locate the print version if I want to print out the topic.

Also the thanks icon on the old version was very handy.:)

chasrob said:
Also the thanks icon on the old version was very handy.:)

This has been replaced with the "like" button at the right of the bar below a post.

Sorry, I can't help with printing.

Likes chasrob
chasrob said:
The new look is great, but I can't seem to locate the print version if I want to print out the topic.

I did a quick search on "xenforo print option". I could only find this tidbit from 2010:
That feature isn't available. A suggestion has been made for it however...

Thread here: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/no-print-option.9446/

Likes chasrob
Borg said:
Do you mean Dr. Du's post #8?

No, I meant my post #11 :)

Good job getting the forum back up Greg!

Likes Greg Bernhardt and DataGG
Working fast now, and the style is really nice, Russ did a good job.

One thing I don't like though is the SA/HH/Gold badges are now just symbols.

Hey Greg i just noticed an style property (color) issue with attachment viewing. When I click a thumbnail and get the viewer pop-up window, the "X" in the upper right corner is blended into the background of the window. I know it's there because I'm familiar with XF but someone who isn't might struggle finding out how to close the window.

FYI I'm on Win 7 and FF 32.0.1 if that matters

Ah, so there is an x to close, just hidden? I left by esc.

Rocket50 said:
One thing I don't like though is the SA/HH/Gold badges are now just symbols.
I'm pretty sure that this is temporary.

Also, the homework template thing isn't working.

Rocket50 said:
Also, the homework template thing isn't working.

Yes, Greg is aware of that.

Can anyone try to change/add avatar? I'm not able to. Not sure if Greg is aware of that.

DataGG said:
Can anyone try to change/add avatar? I'm not able to. Not sure if Greg is aware of that.
I just changed mine. Are you getting an error? Don't click delete current avatar if you are just changing it.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I just changed mine. Are you getting an error? Don't click delete current avatar if you are just changing it.
I'm not changing, I'm trying to add (I don't have any avatar atm). I don't get any error, I choose the file and then the loading icon appears in the top right corner. I've tried to wait several minutes and it doesn't go away. Clicking on "Okay" doesn't do anything (it's as if the "Okay" key is not working).

I use an add-on to block javascript (as well as cookies, etc), and when adding an avatar there's a new "frame" that I forgot to allow.

There's no bug in the avatar feature, sorry for the false alarm.