Has Relativity Mathematically Failed?

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter Abstruce
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the conversation is about a link that claims to have a proof which is not strong enough to be disproven. The conversation also discusses the possibility of convincing the person offering the award by teaching them mathematics and physics, but acknowledges that they may be too stubborn to change their mind. The conversation ends with a sarcastic comment about the credibility of the website and a mention of a reward for the time wasted on reading it.
Abstruce
I found this link that says it has. My math is not strong enough to prove it wrong. Could someone tell me if this is true?

http://members.aol.com/crebigsol/awards.htm :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
't'aint true.

So all you have to do to convince the person offering the award is to convince him that his is wrong. Do to that you would have to teach him mathematics and physics from the ground up. Chances are that he is not only not interested in learning, but incapable as well. He would not change his opinion if you flew a length contracted Titanic through his house.

This sounds like a topic for Debunking.

Maybe I'm just a hopeless optimist, but I like to think they're capable of learning -- they're just too stubborn.

Hurkyl said:
Maybe I'm just a hopeless optimist, but I like to think they're capable of learning -- they're just too stubborn.

Yes, you are. If it means losing $50,000, I imagine nothing will change his mind. That seems to be the problem with all these awards: It's possible to set them up so they're almost impossible to prove.

That website, btw, was put up in 1996. I'm guessing nobody was able to prove him wrong, at least not to his satisfaction.

Well I'd like my 15 minutes that I wasted reading the crap hosted on that site back please

No doubt about it - this is nonsense.

One fifteen minute credit for each reader is available in the lobby. :biggrin:

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental principle in physics that explains the relationship between space and time. It consists of two main theories: the special theory of relativity and the general theory of relativity.

2. How is relativity mathematically represented?

Relativity is mathematically represented through a set of equations, including Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2, which relates mass and energy. The equations also include the Lorentz transformation, which describes how space and time measurements change for objects moving at different speeds.

3. Has relativity been proven mathematically?

Yes, the predictions of relativity have been tested and verified through numerous experiments and observations. For example, the bending of light around massive objects, as predicted by general relativity, has been observed during solar eclipses.

4. What is the controversy surrounding relativity's mathematical accuracy?

Some scientists have proposed alternative theories that attempt to explain the same phenomena as relativity, but with different mathematical equations. These theories are often referred to as "modified gravity" theories and are still being debated and tested.

5. Has relativity mathematically failed?

No, relativity has not been mathematically proven to be incorrect. While there may be alternative theories, relativity remains the most widely accepted and accurate description of the relationship between space and time based on current evidence and observations.