Special Relativity philosophy and anxiety

In summary: But we are also philosophically naive and uneducated ;) (for a reason)And with that we will close the thread.
EclogiteFacies
TL;DR Summary
Does Special Relativity impact the philosophy of our interactions and therefore relationships?
Hello all you clever people,

I was wondering if you guys could answer a question for me regarding special relativity and the none existence of time. At least in the sense that the block universe people believe.
So I'm writing as if the block universe is the correct interpretation

What does this mean for our relationships with other people? I know this might seem silly..
But if my reference frame disagrees with yours then surely this would mean we fail to communicate effectively.

What does it mean for the conscious experience of my friend in my reference frame when compared to their own reference frame? Surely their experience does not exist for me in my frame!
... Does it in anyway change the dynamics of our relationships when compared with typical intuitive ideas of time.

It's hard to articulate what I'm trying to get at, it's all very new to me..
I also am pretty sure I'm over thinking if this was a true issue I'm sure there would be someone somewhere on the Internet talking about it (I've looked and there's not)

I hope you can give me some advice

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
EclogiteFacies said:
TL;DR Summary: Does Special Relativity impact the philosophy of our interactions and therefore relationships?

if my reference frame disagrees with yours then surely this would mean we fail to communicate effectively
We fail to communicate effectively for a wide variety of reasons, none of which have anything to do with relativistic effects or the block universe. We often fail to communicate effectively because we make incorrect assumptions. Those rarely have anything to do with relativity

Likes jbriggs444, vanhees71, PeroK and 3 others
You could try starting with answering yourself the obvious question - is there any evidence to support the suggestion that the block theory makes, that all the past and the current moment in time exist together. Is you can't find true evidence to support it's view (and not from a philospher but from an experiment) then you can drop your ideas and have nothing to worry about.

Likes PeroK
DrJohn said:
You could try starting with answering yourself the obvious question - is there any evidence to support the suggestion that the block theory makes, that all the past and the current moment in time exist together. Is you can't find true evidence to support it's view (and not from a philospher but from an experiment) then you can drop your ideas and have nothing to worry about.
Well I'm thinking under the assumption. Does it change our relationships. I'm interested in the philosophical impacts to aid in choosing a stance.

EclogiteFacies said:
What does this mean for our relationships with other people? I know this might seem silly..
But if my reference frame disagrees with yours then surely this would mean we fail to communicate effectively.

What does it mean for the conscious experience of my friend in my reference frame when compared to their own reference frame? Surely their experience does not exist for me in my frame!
... Does it in anyway change the dynamics of our relationships when compared with typical intuitive ideas of time.
I think you're misreading what "disagree" means. All it means is that the answers are different when the inputs are different. That has nothing to do with human interactions. Most people have no difficulty coming to an agreement on conventions/references. Just a few minutes ago, for example, I accepted a meeting in a different time zone. We communicated and came to an agreement on when it should happen. I have full confidence the meeting will occur successfully even though our calendars say the meeting is at different times.

Likes Dale and PeroK
EclogiteFacies said:
I'm interested in the philosophical impacts
Then why are you asking this at PF? We explicitly do not allow philosophical discussions...

Likes malawi_glenn and Vanadium 50
berkeman said:
Then why are you asking this at PF? We explicitly do not allow philosophical discussions...
Well I find a lot of people on philosophy forums don't actually understand SR. You guys do you're clever physicists, engineers and mathematicians.

Hopefully I haven't been too annoying!

Likes russ_watters and PeroK
EclogiteFacies said:
Does it change our relationships.
No, it does not. No human relationship in history has been altered because of relativistic effects.

Last edited:
Likes EclogiteFacies
Dale said:
No, it does not. No human relationship in history has been altered because of relativistic effects.
But if we ever do send twin A on a round trip to Alpha Centauri with relativistic speeds while twin B stays at home, I bet twin B will begin to hate the younger one's guts. ;)

• Haha
Likes FactChecker and berkeman
EclogiteFacies said:
Well I find a lot of people on philosophy forums don't actually understand SR. You guys do you're clever physicists, engineers and mathematicians.
But we are also philosophically naive and uneducated ;) (for a reason)

• Haha
Likes Demystifier
And with that we will close the thread.

• Love
Likes EclogiteFacies and vanhees71

1. What is the theory of Special Relativity?

The theory of Special Relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905, is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the speed of light in a vacuum is constant for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

2. How does Special Relativity relate to philosophy?

Special Relativity has had a significant impact on the field of philosophy, particularly in the areas of metaphysics and epistemology. It challenges traditional notions of absolute space and time and raises questions about the nature of reality and our ability to perceive it accurately. It also has implications for concepts such as causality and determinism.

3. Can Special Relativity help us understand anxiety?

While Special Relativity is primarily a scientific theory, it has also been used to explore the human experience and consciousness. Some philosophers have suggested that the concept of relativity can be applied to anxiety, as it highlights the subjective nature of our perceptions and experiences. It can also offer insights into the relationship between time and anxiety, as time dilation is a key aspect of the theory.

4. How does Special Relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

Special Relativity has revolutionized our understanding of the universe by providing a framework for understanding the behavior of objects in motion and the nature of space and time. It has led to groundbreaking discoveries such as the equivalence of mass and energy, and has been crucial in the development of modern technologies such as GPS systems.

5. Are there any controversies surrounding Special Relativity?

While Special Relativity is widely accepted by the scientific community, there have been some controversies surrounding the theory. Some have questioned its validity and applicability in certain situations, while others have proposed alternative theories. However, the vast majority of evidence supports the principles of Special Relativity, and it remains a cornerstone of modern physics and philosophy.