Harmonic Osclillator Purturbation Matrix Elements

In summary, the conversation revolved around using perturbation theory on a harmonic oscillator, specifically in terms of the matrix elements involved. The book mentioned that all other matrix elements besides V_{00}, V_{20}, and V_{k0}=<k|v|0> vanish, and the participants discussed the reasons behind this. They also touched on the idea of negligible elements and how the energy levels might change. Finally, the conversation concluded with a discussion on rewriting x in terms of creation and annihilation operators and how this relates to the non-zero matrix elements.
teroenza

Homework Statement

I am trying to follow Sakurai's use of perturbation theory on a harmonic oscillator,

Homework Equations

Perturbation:
[tex]v=\epsilon x^2[/tex] , [tex]\epsilon << 1 [/tex]

Matrix elements:
[tex] V_{km}=<k|v|m> [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The book says that all other matrix elements besides [itex]V_{00}, V_{20} [/itex], and of the form [itex] V_{k0}=<k|v|0> [/itex] vanish. I don't understand why. I see that the perturbation and the ground state have even parity, and that the SHO eigenstates alternate between even and odd parity with quantum number n. That should kill off the odd n states, but why should the even ones vanish too for k above 2?

Physics news on Phys.org
They might be negligible.
I don't understand your perturbation - the harmonic oscillator has x^2, and your perturbation has the same shape?

Yes, sorry if that was not clear. The unperturbed potential is V_{0}=1/2 m \omega x^2, and the perturbation is the same thing multiplied by \epsilon.

Okay. Then it's easy to predict how the energy levels will change. I would expect expressions like Vk2 and so on to be non-zero as well, but they could be too small to be relevant (and I did not calculate it).

Ok. Sakurai says they "vanish", which might mean that they are negligible. The motivation behind this is my trying to solve for the second order energy correction to a perturbation proportional to x^4. I thought I could make most of the terms in the sum go away if I was able to follow whatever procedure Sakurai did in the book for the x^2 perturbation.

Of the ##V_{k0}## elements, the only non-zero ones are for k=0 and k=2. Hint: Rewrite x in terms of creation and annihilation operators.

Got it. Thank you.For any state higher than 2, they all go to zero because the creation operator to the second power can only get you to the |2> state.

Spot on. In general, any state ##|n\rangle## will have a non-zero matrix element with itself, ##|n+2\rangle##, and ##|n-2\rangle##.

Related to Harmonic Osclillator Purturbation Matrix Elements

What is a Harmonic Oscillator Perturbation Matrix Element?

A Harmonic Oscillator Perturbation Matrix Element is a mathematical quantity that describes the interaction between a harmonic oscillator system and an external perturbation. It is used in quantum mechanics to calculate the changes in energy levels of a harmonic oscillator due to an external perturbation.

How is the Harmonic Oscillator Perturbation Matrix Element calculated?

The Harmonic Oscillator Perturbation Matrix Element is calculated using the perturbation theory in quantum mechanics. This involves expanding the perturbation potential in a power series and then using mathematical techniques to solve for the matrix element.

What is the significance of Harmonic Oscillator Perturbation Matrix Elements in physics?

Harmonic Oscillator Perturbation Matrix Elements are important in understanding the behavior of quantum systems in the presence of external perturbations. They are used to calculate transition probabilities, which are essential in predicting the outcomes of physical processes.

Can Harmonic Oscillator Perturbation Matrix Elements be experimentally measured?

Yes, Harmonic Oscillator Perturbation Matrix Elements can be experimentally measured using techniques such as spectroscopy. By measuring the energy transitions between different levels of a harmonic oscillator system, the matrix elements can be determined.

What are some applications of Harmonic Oscillator Perturbation Matrix Elements?

Harmonic Oscillator Perturbation Matrix Elements have many applications in physics, including in the study of atomic and molecular systems, as well as in condensed matter physics. They are also used in quantum computing and quantum information processing.