Strings - Visaro operators - basically commutator algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different operators (L0, L1, and L2) to show that the mass squared, m^2, is equal to 1/alpha' and that 1+A-2B=0. The speaker has successfully shown the correct expression for L1, but is struggling with L0 and L2. For L0, they attempt to use the commutator relation to move the operators and ultimately obtain a result of m^2=3/alpha' instead of the desired 1/alpha'. For L2, they are unsure of how to proceed as there is no common eigenstate like there was for L1. They question whether alpha_-2|k>=alpha
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Question:

(With the following definitions here:
definitions.png
)

- Consider ##L_0|x>=0## to show that ##m^2=\frac{1}{\alpha'}##
- Consider ##L_1|x>=0 ## to conclude that ## 1+A-2B=0##
- Consider ##L_2|x>=0 ## to conclude that ##d-4A-2B=0##

- where ##d## is the dimension of the space ##d=\eta^{uv}\eta_{uv}##

For the L1 operator I am able to get the correct expression of ##1+A-2B=0##
I am struggling with L0 and L2

Any help much appreciated.

Homework Equations

##\alpha^u_0={p^u}\sqrt{2 \alpha'}##

##\alpha_{n>0}## annihilate

##\alpha_{n<0}## create

## [\alpha_n^u, \alpha_m^v]=n\delta_{n+m}\eta^{uv}## (*)

where ##\eta^{uv}## is the Minkowski metric

##p^u|k>=k^u|k>##

The Attempt at a Solution

My working for L1 is here:

Operating on the three terms in turn:

where ##L_1 = \frac{1}{2}(\sum\limits^n_{n=-\infty} \alpha^u_{1-n} \alpha^v_{n} \eta_{uv})## and so using (*) the only alpha operators that do not commute are the negatives of each other,

so from ##L_1## for the first term we need to look at ##\alpha_0\alpha_1=\alpha_1\alpha_0##

for the second term we look at ##\alpha_{-1}\alpha_2## etc and where ##\alpha_0## commutes with all.

##L_1 \alpha^u_{-1} \alpha^v_{-1} \eta_{uv} |k>=2\alpha^u_0 \alpha^v_{-1}\eta_{uv} |k> ## [1]

where this has came from considering the four product of alpha operators that we need to look at : ##\alpha_0 \alpha_1 \alpha_{-1} \alpha_{-1} ## applying the commutator relation (*) twice to move ##\alpha_1## to the right which annihilates.

In a similar way I get:
##L_1 \alpha^u_{0} \alpha^v_{-2} \eta_{uv} |k>=2\alpha^u_0 \alpha^v_{-1}\eta_{uv} |k> ## [2]
##L_1 \alpha^u_{0} \alpha^v_{0} \alpha^a_{-1} \alpha^b_{-1} \eta_{ab} |k>=2\alpha_0.\alpha_0 \alpha_0^u\alpha^v_{-1}\eta_{uv} |k> ## [3]

So putting [1] , [2] and [3] together:

##L_1|x>=(2\alpha_0 + 2A\alpha_0 + 2B\alpha_0(\alpha_0.\alpha_0))\alpha_{-1}|k>=0##

##(2+2A+2B\alpha_0.\alpha_0)\alpha_0\alpha_{-1}|k>=0##

##\sqrt{2\alpha'}(2)(1+A+\alpha_0.\alpha_0 B)p^u\alpha_{-1}|k>=0##

##(1+A+B\alpha_0.\alpha_0)k^u|k'>=0##

where I have defined ##|k'>=\alpha_{-1}|k>## .I'm not sure I completely understand the ##\alpha_{-1}|k>## here, I think this works because the whole expression vanishes for eigenstate ##\alpha_{-1}|k>## and since ##\alpha_0## commutes with all we can move this all the way to right , can someone correct me if this is wrong please?##p^2 = -m^2## and (from using the mass result deduced from ##L_0## which I am stuck on, see below ) ##m^2=\frac{1}{\alpha'}##
so ##\alpha_0.\alpha_0=p^22 \alpha'=-m^2 2 \alpha'##
##m^2=1/\alpha' \implies \alpha_0.\alpha_0=-2##

Therefore we have:

## \implies (1+A-2B)k^u|k>=0##
##\implies (1+A-2B)=0##I expected something similar is needed for L0 and L2 .

Here is my L0 attempt- Consider ##L_0 |x>=0## to show that ##m^{2}=1/\alpha'##

##L_0=(\alpha_0^2+2\sum\limits_{n=1}\alpha_{-n}\alpha_{n}-1)##

So first of all looking at the first term of ##|x>## I need to consider:

##L_0 \alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k> =(\alpha_0^2+2\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{1}-1)\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}##

Considering the four product operator and using the commutators in the same way as done for ##L_1## I get from this:

##L_0\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k> =(\alpha_0^2+4-1)\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>## (**)

Here's how I got it:(dropped indices in places, but just to give idea, ##\eta^{uv}## the minkowksi metric)
##2\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{1}\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1} |k>
= 2(\alpha_{-1}(\alpha_{-1}\alpha_1+\eta)\alpha_{-1})|k>
= 2(\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}\alpha_1\alpha_{-1}+\eta\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1})|k>
= 2(\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}(\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{1}+\eta)+\eta\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1})|k>
=2(\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}(0+\eta|k>)+\eta\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>)
= 2(2\alpha_{-1}.\alpha_{-1})##

so from (**) I have:

##L_0\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k> =(\alpha_0^2+3)\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>=0##
##=(2\alpha'p^2+3)\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>=0##
##\implies 2\alpha'p^2+3=0##
## \implies 2(-m^2)\alpha'=-3##

So I get ## m^{2}=3/\alpha'## and not ##1/\alpha'## :(

Any help much appreciated ( I see the mass is independent of ##A## and ##B## so I thought I'd deal with the first term before confusing my self to see why these terms vanish)

Here are my ideas for L2:

The relevant four products to consider are:

##\alpha_1\alpha_1\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}## , ##\alpha_0\alpha_0\alpha_2\alpha_{-2}##, ##\alpha_0\alpha_0\alpha_1\alpha_1\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}##

from the first, second and third term of ##|x>## respectively.

I am confused how this is going to work out, similar to the logic used for L1 I use (*) to move annihilaters to the right, however my end result is going to be something of the form:

## p^u \alpha_{-1}+Ap^u\alpha_{-2}+Bp^u\alpha_{-1}|k>## i.e. there is no common eigenstate so how can any conclusions be made? unlike L1 where we had ##\alpha_{-1} |k>## common,

or is it the case that

##\alpha_{-2} |k>= \alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>##?

Many thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bump. many thanks in advance.

Related to Strings - Visaro operators - basically commutator algebra

1. What are strings in the context of physics?

Strings in physics refer to the fundamental building blocks of matter, which are thought to be tiny one-dimensional objects that vibrate and interact with each other to form all the particles and forces in the universe.

2. What are Visaro operators?

Visaro operators are mathematical operators used in string theory to describe the interactions and properties of strings. They are used to calculate the scattering amplitudes of strings and to study the symmetries of string theory.

3. How are strings and Visaro operators related?

Strings and Visaro operators are closely related in string theory. Strings are described by the equations of motion and are represented by operators in the theory. The interactions between strings are also described by operators, including the Visaro operators.

4. What is commutator algebra?

Commutator algebra is a mathematical concept that deals with the commutator of two operators. In simple terms, it is a way of quantifying how much two operators "fail" to commute with each other. In string theory, commutator algebra is used to study the symmetries and properties of strings and their interactions.

5. How is commutator algebra used in string theory?

Commutator algebra is used in string theory to study the symmetries and properties of strings. It is used to calculate the scattering amplitudes of strings and to understand the interactions between strings. The commutator algebra of Visaro operators is also important in studying the duality symmetries of string theory, which relate different types of strings and their interactions.